Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Camelopardalis meteor shower (storm?) May 23/24

1. May 15, 2014 #1

TumblingDice

Gold Member

A new meteor shower will light up the sky next week in the northern hemisphere. Comet 209P/Linear is forcast by some to produce 200+ events per hour hour overnight on May 23/24.

Incoming will originate from Camelopardalis, a circumpolar constellation (so it will be "up all night!")

http://www.space.com/25836-new-meteor-shower-comet-209p-linear.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cool ... but no good for sthrn hemisphere observers :frown:

Dave

4. May 16, 2014 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

Not good for equator guys too.
    My sky is so light polluted that I can't even see the Orion nebula.I need a 7X binoculars to see it the was I saw it on my island 2 years ago. I miss that sky so much :cry:

5. May 28, 2014 #4

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

And for northern hemispherers. Light pollution is a curse in cities, with the weather rendering the skies opaque. Even on a clear cold night, new moon, power cut, with a 700mm refractor 60mm aperture at 35x zoom.. I couldn't believe I was lookin at the orion nebula.. all I saw were two stars (the two doublets of the Trapezium) :cry:

6. May 28, 2014 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

did anyone get to see this shower a few days ago ??

how did it look ?

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook