Can a biomolecule from one cell's cellular component migrate

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
Hi guys,

I was wondering how tight the molecules that hold the cellular components are? Is it possible for a lipid in a cell membrane to sort-of-speak,"fly off" or kinda get "pushed out"? And then find itself absorbed into another cell wall or nowhere at all. And can that apply to any other cell (or cell component) molecules, for example titin proteins in muscle cells...

I hope this question is not obvious or if not, that it doesn't sound odd or ignorant.

Any thoughts super appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, and mainly, these molecules can be any molecule from within the cell? At any point, some molecule can spontaneously break off and then Golgi bodies make sure to clean the cell up from these unneeded molecules?

Would it be possible for example, for a lipid molecule to break off of the cell membrane but reinsert itself back into the membrane just down the line somewhere (perhaps before the Golgi body gets to it and expels it, and it reinserts itself back into the same membrane, or the neighbouring cell’s membrane, where it really belongs?

S

SciencewithDrJ

I think it's possible for molecules from one cell to migrate to a neighboring cell (whether it is the same cell type or a different cell type) as evidenced by phagocytosis, by merger of viral lipoprotein coat with host cell upon first entry. I should think that there will be some electrostatic repulsion caused by the phospho groups that would minimize such migration, but if all other forces overcome this repulsion, migration should indeed be possible. That's why the liquid mosaic model of membrane structure allows a certain degree of "fluidity" as opposed to being a rigid structure like the cell wall of plant cells.

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi guys,

I was wondering how tight the molecules that hold the cellular components are? Is it possible for a lipid in a cell membrane to sort-of-speak,"fly off" or kinda get "pushed out"? And then find itself absorbed into another cell wall or nowhere at all. And can that apply to any other cell (or cell component) molecules, for example titin proteins in muscle cells...

I hope this question is not obvious or if not, that it doesn't sound odd or ignorant.

Any thoughts super appreciated!
Sure- paracrine signalling is a good example.