Can a biomolecule from one cell's cellular component migrate

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary: There are weak forces between cells due to the presence of proteins and other molecules, which can cause a small molecule like a hormone to be secreted from one cell and bind to receptors on the cell surface of another cell.In summary, cells can secrete molecules, and these molecules can be any molecule from within the cell.
icakeov
Hi guys,

I was wondering how tight the molecules that hold the cellular components are? Is it possible for a lipid in a cell membrane to sort-of-speak,"fly off" or kinda get "pushed out"? And then find itself absorbed into another cell wall or nowhere at all. And can that apply to any other cell (or cell component) molecules, for example titin proteins in muscle cells...

I hope this question is not obvious or if not, that it doesn't sound odd or ignorant.

Any thoughts super appreciated!

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks Jim, and mainly, these molecules can be any molecule from within the cell? At any point, some molecule can spontaneously break off and then Golgi bodies make sure to clean the cell up from these unneeded molecules?

Would it be possible for example, for a lipid molecule to break off of the cell membrane but reinsert itself back into the membrane just down the line somewhere (perhaps before the Golgi body gets to it and expels it, and it reinserts itself back into the same membrane, or the neighbouring cell’s membrane, where it really belongs?

I think it's possible for molecules from one cell to migrate to a neighboring cell (whether it is the same cell type or a different cell type) as evidenced by phagocytosis, by merger of viral lipoprotein coat with host cell upon first entry. I should think that there will be some electrostatic repulsion caused by the phospho groups that would minimize such migration, but if all other forces overcome this repulsion, migration should indeed be possible. That's why the liquid mosaic model of membrane structure allows a certain degree of "fluidity" as opposed to being a rigid structure like the cell wall of plant cells.

Likes icakeov
icakeov said:
Hi guys,

I was wondering how tight the molecules that hold the cellular components are? Is it possible for a lipid in a cell membrane to sort-of-speak,"fly off" or kinda get "pushed out"? And then find itself absorbed into another cell wall or nowhere at all. And can that apply to any other cell (or cell component) molecules, for example titin proteins in muscle cells...

I hope this question is not obvious or if not, that it doesn't sound odd or ignorant.

Any thoughts super appreciated!

Sure- paracrine signalling is a good example.

Likes icakeov and SciencewithDrJ

1. Can a biomolecule from one cell's cellular component migrate?

Yes, it is possible for biomolecules to migrate from one cell's cellular component to another. This process is known as translocation or transport and it is crucial for maintaining proper cellular function.

2. How do biomolecules migrate between cells?

Biomolecules can migrate between cells through various mechanisms such as diffusion, active transport, and endocytosis. The specific mechanism depends on the type of biomolecule and the cellular environment it is trying to migrate through.

3. What types of biomolecules can migrate between cells?

Almost all types of biomolecules have the ability to migrate between cells, including proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, and nucleic acids. However, the specific molecules that can migrate may vary depending on the cell type and its function.

4. What is the purpose of biomolecule migration between cells?

Biomolecule migration between cells is essential for maintaining proper cellular function, communication, and homeostasis. It allows for the transfer of important molecules such as hormones, enzymes, and nutrients to different parts of the body.

5. Can biomolecule migration between cells be regulated?

Yes, biomolecule migration can be regulated by the cell through various mechanisms such as signaling pathways, transport proteins, and cellular receptors. This helps to ensure that the right molecules are transported to the right places at the right time.