Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a fish swim in incredibly viscous-dominated liquids?

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I was wondering, can a fish swim in incredibly viscous-dominated liquids? I'm thinking it cannot. My first thought is to consider the Navier-Stokes equations and see that the inertial and transient terms are small, so flow is not accelerating, and thus the fish couldn't accelerate either.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You need a different swimming motion - one that is not time-symmetric. For single-celled organisms, water is a very viscous liquid, and they can swim (some of them). Something similar to the way snakes moved on the ground is an interesting option.

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Could you elaborate why you need something different?

5. Apr 5, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Scallop theorem
    For low Reynolds numbers, time-symmetric motion in Newtonian fluids won't lead to position changes.

6. Apr 5, 2017 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Could you prove this, or intuitively explain it, or direct me to a source where this is explained? I believe you but would like to understand why.

Alongside what you've said, what if the fish fins press back very fast and then reset forward very slow (not time-symmetric, right?)

7. Apr 5, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

The article has references, and you can search the literature for "scallop theorem".
    If the motion is time-symmetric, and all equations describing the water are time-symmetric as well (low Reynolds number!), how could be there net motion? If you reverse the time direction, the motion looks the same, the reaction of the water is the same, but the swimming direction suddenly has to reverse? Moving faster or slower doesn't break the time symmetry enough. You need asymmetric motion.

8. Apr 6, 2017 #7

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks for this! I didn't see the link before, but I'll check it out now.

9. Apr 7, 2017 #8
  10. Apr 7, 2017 #9

mfb

2016 Award

That was still with large Reynolds numbers. You would need something honey-like to get low Reynolds numbers with humans.

The arm stroke would still work there, it is asymmetric in time. The legs are more problematic.

11. Apr 7, 2017 #10
    Syrup is very honey like it's sort of a defining characteristic of syrup
    Honey is in fact a syrup
    So I don't understand what you mean by that

12. Apr 8, 2017 #11

mfb

2016 Award

The syrup they used in the video is certainly not as viscous as every honey I ever saw (at reasonable swimming temperatures).
    Look how much it splashes around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted