How can a flywheel increase torque in a generator system?

In summary: Equation 1 is the equation for the system as a whole. Adding a flywheel will not increase the torque at the pinion.You need to provide the additional torque at the gearbox.
s1h1ad2ow
Hello guys,
I am working on designing a flywheel to couple to a generator however i have a small problem and i have low knowledge in flywheels

I have a pinion rotating at w = 14.13 rad/sec and torque Tpinion = F*Rpinion = Mass of inertia *alpha pinion
All is known I can find Tpinion euqal around 0.0006 N.m (Rp = 2cm , alpha pinion = 88 rad/s^2 , m = 700g) Now the question :
After the pinion there is a gearbox of 1/20 coupled to a flywheel coupled to a generator

My generator gives 10 w with minimum RPM of 2500
My system gives me around 2700 RPM
So i need a certain amount of Torque = 0.035 N.m to get this power output.
Does the free wheel add torque ? and what the equation coupled with the gearbox be?

thank you for your time and I appreciate every help
Edit: I was considering the angular acceleration for the Flywheel to be alpha pinion *20 due to gearbox is it correct as well?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds like a small wind turbine connected to a 10W generator. The flywheel on the generator shaft is a good idea and will serve to smooth out speed variations. The flywheel adds no torque at constant speed. Yes, the angular acceleration of the flywheel would be 20 times that of the pinion.

Likes russ_watters
First of all thank you for your reply
Second of all i need 0.035 N.m torque to get this 10 w however i only have 0.0006 N.m due to my small size and weight of the pinion. Can i increase this torque by adding a flywheel?
( the pinion size and weight cannot be changed )

Last edited:
As insightful said, the flywheel does not add torque. You need more input power to generate the output power you want.

s1h1ad2ow said:
Second of all i need 0.035 N.m torque to get this 10 w however i only have 0.0006 N.m due to my small size and weight of the pinion.
Now I'm confused about your setup. Could you provide a sketch? Your 0.035 N.m at 2700 rpm does give 10W at the generator, but would require 20 times that torque at 14.13 rad/s at the pinion input to the gearbox.

Sorry for the confusion. This is a sketch.
I am a bit as well confused due to many things.
So as seen in the picture I have the pinion with the force F2 then gearbox with 1/20 then the flywheel then a generator.
I derived two equations please correct me as I am not sure yet which one is correct.

If I use equation 1 :

F2.Rpinion = Jsystem * omega pinion

with Jsystem = Jpinion + (smthing)*Jflywheel this means that the mass and radius of the flywheel can increase the torque.

So can i increase my torque using this formula?
Or equation 2
Torque gearbox + Torque flywheel = 0.035 N.m (Power out = 10 W , RPM = 2700 so i need to supply to generator this torque of 0.035 N.m)
Having Torque pinion = 0.5* mpinion * r^2 * alpha with m = 700 g and r = 2 cm and alpha =88.5 rad/s^2
I can find the Torque done by the pinion which is this 0.012 N.m
After gearbox , T = 0.012/20 = 0.0006 N.m
I need 0.035 N.m so Torque flywheel = 0.034 N.m
I know energy is conserved and i cannot add torque but the fact that moment of inertia can add torque i got a bit confused

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your effort and time

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 886
s1h1ad2ow said:
Having Torque pinion = 0.5* mpinion * r^2 * alpha with m = 700 g and r = 2 cm and alpha =88.5 rad/s^2
I can find the Torque done by the pinion which is this 0.012 N.m
After gearbox , T = 0.012/20 = 0.0006 N.m
OK, this is the torque needed to accelerate your 700g, 2cm radius pinion disc at 88.5 rad/s2.
I do not see how this is relevant at all to your operating a generator at a steady-state 2700 rpm.
s1h1ad2ow said:
I need 0.035 N.m so Torque flywheel = 0.034 N.m
The flywheel simply cannot supply additional torque at steady-state.
You need 20*0.035 = 0.70 N.m torque at the pinion at 2700/20 = 135 rpm.
If you cannot provide this torque, your project (as I understand it) will not work.

Mmm ok that i understand well bas the trick is if i need to writr the equation of motion to my system it will not be like equation 1 ?
Equ 1 :
F2*Rp = Moment of inertia system*alpha
With MOI system = inertia of pinion +(smthing) inertia of flywheel
Doesnt this mean if i add the flywheel it will help increase my torque?

s1h1ad2ow said:
Mmm ok that i understand well bas the trick is if i need to writr the equation of motion to my system it will not be like equation 1 ?
Equ 1 :
F2*Rp = Moment of inertia system*alpha
With MOI system = inertia of pinion +(smthing) inertia of flywheel
Doesnt this mean if i add the flywheel it will help increase my torque?
No. Adding the flywheel just adds to the moment of inertia of the system and so reduces alpha.

Likes s1h1ad2ow
Oh i see now
Thank you a lot for your help and for your time

I have one last question
I understand i need now 0.7 N.m of torque
However if equ of motion on pinion without flywheel is F*r = Jpinion* alpha
If my torque should be 0.7 then using Jpinion= 0.5× mass pinion* r^2 i can find m = 40 kg. ( r = 0.02 m and alpha 88.5 rad/s^2)
However my max pinion mass is 700 g so does adding a flywheel help me distribute this weight to get my desired torque?
Because ill have F*r =0.7= Jsystem*alpha
Where Jsys = Jpinion+ n^2 *Jflywheel ?
I appreciate all your help and thank you for your time

Why are you concerned with accelerating the pinion at 88.5 rad/s2?

Suppose my design is giving me those values
Can I get my torque to be 0.7 like i said in my previous post? (by adding a flywheel to distribute the weight)

s1h1ad2ow, what you are asking (or rather, how you are trying to go about it) does not make much sense. You should not be looking at a situation where the system is accelerating because your goal is to generate power under steady state conditions (not accelerating). Your approach is not helping you get where you want to go.

Likes insightful
s1h1ad2ow said:
Suppose my design is giving me those values
That doesn't mean those values are relevant to your design.
s1h1ad2ow said:
Can I get my torque to be 0.7 like i said in my previous post? (by adding a flywheel to distribute the weight)
No. Your force on the pinion must be 0.7N.m/0.02m = 35N.

I understand know I was using a wrong approach for this issue

Thank you for your answers and your help guys

1. How does a flywheel add torque?

A flywheel functions as a mechanical energy storage device, storing kinetic energy in its rotation. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it resists the change in motion by transferring its stored energy to the object. This transfer of energy results in an increase in torque, allowing the object to continue rotating with a greater force.

2. Can a flywheel increase torque indefinitely?

No, a flywheel has a limited amount of stored energy and cannot increase torque indefinitely. As the flywheel rotates and transfers its energy to the object, it will eventually slow down and reach a point where it can no longer increase the torque.

3. How does a flywheel help with engine performance?

In engines, a flywheel is used to smooth out the power output and reduce vibrations. The flywheel helps maintain a constant rotational speed, which is crucial for efficient engine operation. It also adds torque to the engine, providing the necessary force to maintain a steady rotation.

4. Can a flywheel be used in other applications besides engines?

Yes, flywheels have a variety of applications beyond engines. They are commonly used in machines such as lathes and milling machines to maintain a steady rotation and increase torque. They are also used in energy storage systems, such as flywheel batteries, to store and release energy as needed.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a flywheel?

While flywheels have many benefits, they also have some limitations. They can be heavy and bulky, which can make them difficult to incorporate into smaller machines. They also have a limited amount of stored energy, so they are not suitable for applications that require a constant and high level of torque for extended periods.