Rotation of a drum attached to a spring

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum angular velocity of a small drum with a mass moment of inertia of 0.44kg.m^2 and a frictional resistance torque of 0.3 N.m, initiated by a string wound around its 20 mm diameter shaft and attached to a stretched spring with a stiffness of 2N/mm. The spring is initially stretched by 120 mm before the drum is released from rest. To solve this problem, you need to find the initial tension of the spring, which can be calculated using the work done by the spring and the kinetic energy of the drum. You also need to take into account the frictional torque acting against the motion of the drum, which can be calculated using the friction
Datta108

Homework Statement

Rotation of a small drum of mass moment of inertia 0.44kg.m^2 and with frictional resistance torque 0.3 N.m is initiated by a string wound around its 20 mm diameter shaft and attached to a stretched spring, as shown in the figure. If the spring, which has a stiffness 2N/mm is initially stretched by 120 mm before the drum is released from rest, determine the maximum angular velocity, in rpm, attained by the drum.

Homework Equations

Tnet = Iα
SE = 1/2 kx^2
KE of drum = 1/2Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The spring energy provided by the stretched spring is given to the drum and converted to the kinetic energy of the drum. Equating these two gives w = 23.4 rad/s^2. I don't know how to proceed from here. I believe we have to find the T provided by the spring. Then, the first equation can be used to find the difference in T and therefore alpha can be found. From this v can also be found. However, I am stuck at finding T provided by spring.

Any help (ASAP) will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Datta108 said:
Equating these two gives w = 23.4 rad/s^2
That is not going to help since the peak rate isprobably reached before the spring becomes slack.
Datta108 said:
stuck at finding T provided by spring
There is no difficulty finding the initial tension, is there?
Consider when the spring has contracted by a distance x from its initial stretch. What work has been done by the spring? What is the KE of the drum?

Using the frictional torque and the radius, you can find an effective "frictional force" acting at the edge.

haruspex said:
That is not going to help since the peak rate isprobably reached before the spring becomes slack.

There is no difficulty finding the initial tension, is there?
Consider when the spring has contracted by a distance x from its initial stretch. What work has been done by the spring? What is the KE of the drum?

Sorry, did you mean torque?

Work done by the spring would be 1/2kx^2.
Won't the KE of the drum equal the SE of the spring?Sorry if I am asking stupid questions here, but my tutor did not go over such problems in detail.
(This is NOT to complete my homework by the way. I am studying for an exam that's coming up)

scottdave said:
Using the frictional torque and the radius, you can find an effective "frictional force" acting at the edge.
Do you mean 0.3 N.m * 0.010 m?

Look at the units. You want to divide (0.3 N*m) / (0.01 m) to get 30 Newtons of friction, which works against motion of the drum (so it is in opposite direction of spring force).

Datta108 said:
Work done by the spring would be 1/2kx^2.
No. It started with extension L (=0.12m) and I defined x as the reduction in extension, so:
- what PE did the spring start with? (Use L, not the numerical value.)
- what PE does it still have?
- what work has it done?
Datta108 said:
Won't the KE of the drum equal the SE of the spring?
No, there s friction. How much work has been done against that?

haruspex said:
No. It started with extension L (=0.12m) and I defined x as the reduction in extension, so:
- what PE did the spring start with? (Use L, not the numerical value.)
- what PE does it still have?
- what work has it done?

No, there s friction. How much work has been done against that?
Sorry, I am not able to think about this problem. Could you please give me a step by step method for this question?
I have a mechanics exam tomorrow. Thank you.

Datta108 said:
Sorry, I am not able to think about this problem. Could you please give me a step by step method for this question?
I have a mechanics exam tomorrow. Thank you.
Sorry, helpers are not permitted to provide step by step solutions for homework problems. They can offer hints and point out errors in work you've shown, or offer suggestions concepts to think about or try.

gneill said:
Sorry, helpers are not permitted to provide step by step solutions for homework problems. They can offer hints and point out errors in work you've shown, or offer suggestions concepts to think about or try.
Sorry, I was not aware of this. Thank you all!

1. What is a drum attached to a spring?

A drum attached to a spring is a system where a drum or cylinder is connected to a spring and can rotate freely around its axis.

2. What causes the rotation of the drum in this system?

The rotation of the drum is caused by the potential energy stored in the spring. When the spring is stretched or compressed, it exerts a force on the drum, causing it to rotate.

3. How does the spring affect the rotation of the drum?

The spring acts as the driving force for the rotation of the drum. As the drum rotates, the spring continuously stretches and compresses, providing the necessary energy for the rotation to continue.

4. What factors affect the rotation of the drum attached to a spring?

The main factor that affects the rotation of the drum attached to a spring is the stiffness of the spring. A stiffer spring will provide more force and result in faster rotation. The mass of the drum and any external forces or friction can also affect the rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of a drum attached to a spring?

A drum attached to a spring can be found in various machines and devices, such as clock mechanisms, shock absorbers, and even musical instruments like cymbals. It is also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts of energy and motion.