Can a Mistake in KVL Analysis Disprove a Fundamental Law?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kvl
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
sandy.bridge
Messages
797
Reaction score
1
Here's my work. When I apply KVL around loop 1, I get +5V, but when I apply it around loop 2, I get -5, which is inconsistent with my first results?

Where am I going wrong, or have I disproved a fundamental law?

ya-1.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, my work got cut out. The bottom says: +V+5=0, V=-5
 
I only see one loop. And what's the diode and resistor on the left supposed to be indicating?
 
I had redrawn the network on the left and configured it to the form on the right. This is how my textbook deals with KVL.
 
Never mind. I figured it out. I entirely forgot that there is a 10V drop across the diode.
 
Last edited: