Finding the values of voltage and current in this circuit

In summary: Do I need to then redraw the current arrows?Yes, this is similar to assigning directions to forces when using Newton's 2nd Law. In this case, if you end up with a negative force, this just means that you've incorrectly assumed the direction of the force.
rugerts

Homework Statement

It's best if one looks at the picture of the circuit diagram. What we're given is a current of 0.25 A and two resistances of 20 and 30 ohms.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, Kirchhoff's Current Law, Ohm's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution started with applying KVL to the first mesh (the leftmost) and I arrived at a value of 5V. Although I am a little confused as to the sign conventions here. I've read that it's best to follow passive sign convention, which from my understanding, says that current going into a resistor is labeled with a + polarity. Here, I go around the loop clockwise but arrive at a negative voltage value, which to me suggests the drawn arrow in the given diagram is going opposite to its true direction.
To find current 2, I tried applying KCL, which for me resulted in a value of current 2 being the same as current 1, which is not correct. Can anyone shed some light on why I must use Ohm's Law instead of KCL here to find current 2?
IMG-1884.JPG
IMG-1885.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-1884.JPG
    IMG-1884.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG-1885.JPG
    IMG-1885.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 359
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to reconsider I2

How in the world did you conclude that -I1 + I2 = 0 ?

phinds said:
You need to reconsider I2

How in the world did you conclude that -I1 + I2 = 0 ?
I was thinking that those two currents converge at node A like this:
IMG-1887.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-1887.JPG
    IMG-1887.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 303
Where did the zero come from?

phinds said:
Where did the zero come from?
Doesn't Kirchhoff's Current Law state that the sum of currents at a node is 0? I believe I did the same thing on a previous problem and got a correct answer. See below:
IMG-1888.JPG
IMG-1889.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-1889.JPG
    IMG-1889.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG-1888.JPG
    IMG-1888.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 381
rugerts said:

Homework Statement

It's best if one looks at the picture of the circuit diagram. What we're given is a current of 0.25 A and two resistances of 20 and 30 ohms.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, Kirchhoff's Current Law, Ohm's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution started with applying KVL to the first mesh (the leftmost) and I arrived at a value of 5V.

Correct.

Although I am a little confused as to the sign conventions here. I've read that it's best to follow passive sign convention, which from my understanding, says that current going into a resistor is labeled with a + polarity. Here, I go around the loop clockwise but arrive at a negative voltage value, which to me suggests the drawn arrow in the given diagram is going opposite to its true direction.

The arrows on a circuit diagram do NOT tell you the direction that current is flowing. They tell you which direction the named current (eg I1, I2, I3, I4...) would be flowing _if_ the value of the current was positive. In other words the arrows define what positive and negative means.

For example, in many cases you don't know which way a current is flowing at the start. So you mark on the circuit an arrow pointing in any direction you like. Then you solve the equations and see what the sign is. Then you have to refer to the arrow to see what that means. In this case they are saying that _if_ I2 was a positive number it would be flowing up through R2. That doesn't mean I2 _is_ a positive number.

rugerts said:
Doesn't Kirchhoff's Current Law state that the sum of currents at a node is 0?
It does indeed, which is why it makes no sense at all that you have summed 2 of the 3 currents entering the node and called THAT sum zero.

CWatters said:
Correct.
The arrows on a circuit diagram do NOT tell you the direction that current is flowing. They tell you which direction the named current (eg I1, I2, I3, I4...) would be flowing _if_ the value of the current was positive. In other words the arrows define what positive and negative means.

For example, in many cases you don't know which way a current is flowing at the start. So you mark on the circuit an arrow pointing in any direction you like. Then you solve the equations and see what the sign is. Then you have to refer to the arrow to see what that means.In this case they are saying that _if_ I2 was a positive number it would be flowing up through R2. That doesn't mean I2 _is_ a positive number.
Is this assignment of current direction similar to assigning directions to forces when using Newton's 2nd Law? That is, if you end up with a negative force, this just means that you've incorrectly assumed the direction of the force? Usually this meant redrawing the diagram to correctly position the force vector, does this also happen with circuits? Do I need to then redraw the current arrows?

Likes CWatters
rugerts said:
Is this assignment of current direction similar to assigning directions to forces when using Newton's 2nd Law? That is, if you end up with a negative force, this just means that you've incorrectly assumed the direction of the force?
exactly.
Usually this meant redrawing the diagram to correctly position the force vector, does this also happen with circuits? Do I need to then redraw the current arrows?
No. Why bother? You have a current drawn and a value assigned and the two together show exactly what's happening.

You still haven't explained the zero.

phinds said:
It does indeed, which is why it makes no sense at all that you have summed 2 of the 3 currents entering the node and called THAT sum zero.
Ok, I think I see now. So, currents 1 and 2 both sum to some new current, say current 3. I don't see a way for me to solve this with this new variable, current 3. Does this suggest that I should be instead using Ohm's Law instead of KCL to solve for current 2?

rugerts said:
Ok, I think I see now. So, currents 1 and 2 both sum to some new current, say current 3. I don't see a way for me to solve this with this new variable, current 3. Does this suggest that I should be instead using Ohm's Law instead of KCL to solve for current 2?
No, it suggests you should do what one ALWAYS does with KCL in a 2-loop circuit. Write 2 equations in two unknowns and solve.

rugerts said:
Is this assignment of current direction similar to assigning directions to forces when using Newton's 2nd Law? That is, if you end up with a negative force, this just means that you've incorrectly assumed the direction of the force? Usually this meant redrawing the diagram to correctly position the force vector, does this also happen with circuits? Do I need to then redraw the current arrows?
You could but it's not necessary. It would be a mistake to do that in an exam as then your diagram and your working might appear or be inconsistent. If you were writing a technical manual for a piece of equipment it might make sense to redraw it to make it easier to understand and redo any calculations so its all consistent. A bit like avoiding "double negatives" when writing an essay.

Hi.

There is just one voltage source, and there is a theorem that involves an ideal voltage source and all the elements to which it is parallel:
$$ \text{Theorem: An ideal voltage source in parallel to all other elements} \\ \text{determines the voltage drop across those elements, otherwise it would violate KVL and be outside the domain of simple circuit analysis} $$
You know the voltage in parallel is the same for those two branches of resistances, and you know the directions of the currents specified, so you can solve this, you have a current and a resistance given..
$$ \text{Corollary: You cannot have ideal voltage sources of differing magnitudes} \\ \text{in parallel, this would violate KVL.} \\ \text{Ideal voltage sources in parallel must be of the same magnitude and polarity} $$

Last edited:

1. How do I find the voltage and current values in a circuit?

In order to find the voltage and current values in a circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This means that you will need to know the resistance of each component in the circuit, as well as the total resistance. Once you have this information, you can use the formula V=IR to calculate the voltage and current values.

2. What tools do I need to measure voltage and current in a circuit?

The most common tools used to measure voltage and current in a circuit are a voltmeter and an ammeter. A voltmeter is used to measure the voltage across a component or circuit, while an ammeter is used to measure the current flowing through a component or circuit. Both of these tools can be found in a multimeter, which is a versatile device that can measure several electrical properties.

3. How do I know which direction the current is flowing in a circuit?

In most cases, the current will flow in the direction of the positive terminal of the voltage source. This means that the current will flow from the positive terminal, through the circuit, and back to the negative terminal of the voltage source. However, it is important to pay attention to the direction of the current flow and make sure it aligns with the direction of the components in the circuit.

4. Can I use a single measurement to determine both voltage and current in a circuit?

No, you will need to take separate measurements for voltage and current in a circuit. This is because they are two distinct electrical properties and cannot be accurately determined with a single measurement. Additionally, using the wrong tool to measure either voltage or current can result in incorrect values.

5. How can I test the accuracy of my voltage and current measurements?

To test the accuracy of your measurements, you can use a known voltage source, such as a battery, and a known resistance. First, measure the voltage across the resistance with a voltmeter, then use Ohm's Law to calculate the expected current. Next, measure the current with an ammeter and compare it to the calculated value. If they are similar, your measurements are likely accurate.