Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can a photon be accelerated?

1. Jan 25, 2017 #1
    I am a student . My question is that in what way we can accelerate a photon , is this possible ?
    I am a student . My question is that in what way we can accelerate a photon , is this possible ?
    what if i pass the light to a medium of varying refractive index,containing lots of biprism at random angles so the velocity vector and the velocity will both change. does this will accelerate the photon

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2
    Photon travels with speed c.So I dont think we can accelerate it

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3
    I don't think this is possible. For example, photons are already travelling at the speed of light when they are created. There is no need to accelerate them.

5. Jan 25, 2017 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, velocity is a vector. So even though the speed of a light pulse never changes, the direction of the velocity can. For example, by the light bouncing off a mirror. Also, in General Relativity, the path of a light pulse can be bent by gravity. Whether you consider these to be "acceleration" is a matter of semantics.

Also, light travels slower through a medium (such as glass), so in that sense, light can accelerate when it passes from glass into air.

6. Jan 25, 2017 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This question is actually a relativity question, rather than a quantum mechanics question. I know the question was expressed in terms of photons, but the question is really about the behavior of light. If there is nothing specifically quantum-mechanical to be said, I might (using my superpowers as a mentor) move the thread to the relativity forum.

7. Jan 25, 2017 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Photons are always at c. So what is there to accelerate?

Zz.

8. Jan 25, 2017 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One can accelerate a photon by changing its direction, but not by changing its speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted