Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a power ribbon be spliced together?

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    i was taking apart HP notebook to replace HD and when I was pulling the housing for the keybaord up I didnt notice this ribbon connector thing that was threaded through the housing. It snapped apart. It connected straight to the power connector. I dont understand how ribbons work but it looks like that it would be impossible to put back together because there are 4 or 5 strips of metal underneath the plastic sheath..so i guess you have to just replace it (?) .. But is this right? Is there a way to repair it? thanks
    (I can post a pic if this explains the prob better)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Which is easier to replace? A $5 busted cable, or a $500 fried notebook?

4. Nov 4, 2015 #3

rbelli1

Gold Member

It depends on what material the cable is made out of. If it is a copper flex circuit the the answer is with great difficulty. If it a conductive ink type then it is pretty much impossible to fix it. Either way replacement is the best answer.

BoB

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4
    ive since looked it up and its about $10 replacement so i guess its not worth it to even try to fix.
    thanks for the answers though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook