How to replace your laptop screen

In summary, you will need a small Phillips head screw driver, a few small cups or containers, a small flat head screw driver, and a Replacement screen. One more note: by performing these actions, you will be voiding your warranty.
johnlee
When the screen on a laptop breaks, it can be a very intimidating problem indeed for those who have never taken a laptop apart in the past before,

In this Instructable i hope to dispel a part of that mystery in an effort to empower you so you can repair your own laptop next time it breaks.

Things you will need
a small phillips head Screw driver
a few small cups or containers (for the many screws on your laptop)
a small flat head screw driver (for the plastic clips on the top bezel)
and a Replacement screen ( the most expensive part, but if you look in craigslist you can get a broken laptop with a working screen fairly easy and replace your broken machine with the working parts from the other broken laptop)

or you can go through your laptop manufacturer to order a new screen. (usually not cheap)

One more note. by perfoming these actions you will be voiding your warranty assuming you have any left on the machine. if you do have a warranty on the machine, just send it out to the Depot and get it fixed for free.
if you have no more warranty then forget the above and get ready to get our hands dirty =D the laptops already broken any way what more can you do to it =P

also, before touching any circuits or any thing its good to ground yourself to dispel any static electricity you may have on you. so touch some bare metal Or if you have it pull out your anti static strap and make good use of it.

start by flipping your laptop over and Removing the Battery and every screw on the screen side of your laptop (remember to pull the screws that are hiding Under the battery as well)

Then you will remove a keyboard screw which is normally in the middle of the laptop (it will commonly have a small image of a keyboard near it to make things easier for you)

the last thing we will do is disconnect the Wireless antenna wires.

On the HP dv9000 series the wireless card is kept under the same plate as the Memory which makes things easy for us since it gives us a little more room.

locate which little plate is hiding your wireless card (it doesn't hurt to open them all up and see what's under them all any way since this is a learning experience)

once you have located the card with the black and antenna wires snaking away from it Note which wire goes to which side of the card (I'm not sure how important it is to re attache them properly since their just clipped wires and they don't close any circuit but its good to re attache things the right way the first time haha)

OK now were ready to go to the top side of the laptop.

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. How do I know if my laptop screen needs to be replaced?

There are a few signs that your laptop screen may need to be replaced. These include visible cracks or damage, flickering or distorted images, and a completely black or white screen. If you are experiencing any of these issues, it is likely that your screen needs to be replaced.

2. Can I replace the laptop screen myself?

It is possible to replace your laptop screen yourself, but it can be a complex and delicate process. It is recommended to seek professional help, especially if you are not experienced with laptop repairs. This will help avoid further damage to your device.

3. How much does it cost to replace a laptop screen?

The cost of replacing a laptop screen can vary depending on the model and brand of your laptop. In general, the cost can range from $50 to $300. It is best to consult with a professional or do some research to get an accurate estimate for your specific laptop.

4. How long does it take to replace a laptop screen?

The time it takes to replace a laptop screen can vary depending on the complexity of the repair and the availability of parts. In general, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours. It is best to consult with a professional to get an accurate estimate for your specific laptop.

5. Is it worth it to replace a laptop screen or should I just buy a new laptop?

This ultimately depends on the cost and age of your laptop. If your laptop is relatively new and the cost of replacing the screen is significantly less than buying a new laptop, then it may be worth it to replace the screen. However, if your laptop is older and the cost is closer to that of a new laptop, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a new device. It is best to weigh the options and consult with a professional before making a decision.