Can a professor teach at more than one university?

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
I checked my prof on ratemyprof and he apparently teaches at 4 different campuses: 3 campuses for one university and at another campus for another university.

How does that work?

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
He has a busy schedule.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I know a prof in the UK who teaches courses in both London and Singapore. But he spends a whole term (semester) in one place, he doesn't fly back and forth every week.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is at all unusual.
A good example is professors who belong to the Universty of London (which includes nearly all colleges in London except Imperial). They tend to travel quite a lot since many (most) 4th year and graduate courses are given by UL as a whole.
Moreover, many who have reached the "level" of professor are also visiting professors at other universities, sometimes this is a nearby university but quite frequently it is in another country.

So the answer is lots of travelling...

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I checked my prof on ratemyprof and he apparently teaches at 4 different campuses: 3 campuses for one university and at another campus for another university.

How does that work?
Is that person a tenured professor at a particular university?

He could be simply an adjunct professor at those places and he's employed simply to teach.

Zz.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

How does that work?
Does that site specifically state when the class was taught? He may have taught in several places, but maybe not all at the same time.