Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a professor teach at more than one university?

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    I checked my prof on ratemyprof and he apparently teaches at 4 different campuses: 3 campuses for one university and at another campus for another university.

How does that work?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He has a busy schedule.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know a prof in the UK who teaches courses in both London and Singapore. But he spends a whole term (semester) in one place, he doesn't fly back and forth every week.

5. Nov 1, 2013 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is at all unusual.
    A good example is professors who belong to the Universty of London (which includes nearly all colleges in London except Imperial). They tend to travel quite a lot since many (most) 4th year and graduate courses are given by UL as a whole.
    Moreover, many who have reached the "level" of professor are also visiting professors at other universities, sometimes this is a nearby university but quite frequently it is in another country.

So the answer is lots of travelling...

6. Nov 1, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Is that person a tenured professor at a particular university?

He could be simply an adjunct professor at those places and he's employed simply to teach.

Zz.

7. Nov 1, 2013 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does that site specifically state when the class was taught? He may have taught in several places, but maybe not all at the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook