Can a Pure Math undergrad get into an Applied Math PhD program?

In summary: And even then, they will often accept you conditionally if you take a few of the missing courses, yeah?
Bennigan88
I want to get my undergraduate in Pure math (I've taken and will take some additional CS courses). My question is, would I still be a competitive candidate for a PhD program in computational biology? (mathematical modelling of biological/behavioral/social systems) or should I really get my undergrad in Applied Math?

I've heard that you can go from Pure undergrad to Applied grad, but not the other way around. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that in going from a math undergrad program to a graduate program, the distinction between pure vs. applied is the least of your concerns. I think you should try to find other ways to distinguish yourself, such as research opportunities.

-Dave K

What you need to do is look at up PhD programs that have type of program you wand and look at the requirements they have for admission. I can basically promise you that they won't say "oh you need a pure or applied degree." If it's a math focus PhD the requriement is usually you need a B.s in Mathematics with course in linear algebra, real analysis I and II and modern algebra course. In my experience, applied math focus and pure math focus still take these coruses.

MarneMath said:
What you need to do is look at up PhD programs that have type of program you wand and look at the requirements they have for admission. I can basically promise you that they won't say "oh you need a pure or applied degree." If it's a math focus PhD the requriement is usually you need a B.s in Mathematics with course in linear algebra, real analysis I and II and modern algebra course. In my experience, applied math focus and pure math focus still take these coruses.

And even then, they will often accept you conditionally if you take a few of the missing courses, yeah?

-Dave K

I can say that whether or not a Pure Math undergraduate can get into an Applied Math PhD program depends on a variety of factors. While having a background in Pure Math may provide a strong foundation for pursuing a PhD in Applied Math, it is not the only determining factor in admissions.

Admissions committees for PhD programs in computational biology will also consider other aspects of your application, such as your coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. If you have taken additional courses in computer science and have research experience in computational biology, this can strengthen your application and make you a competitive candidate.

Moreover, many PhD programs value diversity and interdisciplinary backgrounds. Your background in Pure Math and CS, combined with your interest in computational biology, could make you a unique and valuable candidate for a PhD in this field.

That being said, it may also be beneficial to take some courses in Applied Math to demonstrate your proficiency in this area and show your commitment to the field. Additionally, if you have the opportunity to work on a research project that combines Pure Math and Applied Math, this can further showcase your skills and potential for success in a PhD program.

Ultimately, there is no one right path to a PhD in computational biology. It is important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and experiences, and to tailor your application to showcase your suitability for the program. I would recommend speaking with advisors and professors in both Pure Math and Applied Math to get their insights and advice on the best path for you.

1. Can a Pure Math undergrad get into an Applied Math PhD program?

Yes, it is definitely possible for a Pure Math undergrad to get into an Applied Math PhD program. While most students in Applied Math PhD programs have a background in Applied Math, Engineering, or Physics, many programs also accept students with a strong foundation in Pure Math. Admissions committees will typically consider factors such as coursework, research experience, and letters of recommendation when evaluating applicants.

2. Do I need to have a background in Applied Math to be accepted into a PhD program?

While having a background in Applied Math can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for acceptance into a PhD program. Many programs welcome students from a variety of academic backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics. It is important to research the specific program and its requirements before applying.

3. Will a Pure Math undergrad have a disadvantage compared to students with an Applied Math background?

Not necessarily. Admissions committees consider a range of factors when evaluating applicants, and having a strong foundation in Pure Math can be just as advantageous as having a background in Applied Math. Additionally, many programs offer courses that bridge the gap between Pure Math and Applied Math, so students can gain the necessary knowledge and skills for their PhD studies.

4. What can I do to improve my chances of being accepted into an Applied Math PhD program as a Pure Math undergrad?

Some steps you can take to improve your chances of being accepted into an Applied Math PhD program include taking relevant coursework, gaining research experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, you can reach out to the program you are interested in and inquire about any specific requirements or recommendations they may have for applicants with a Pure Math background.

5. Are there any specific areas of Pure Math that are more closely related to Applied Math?

Yes, some areas of Pure Math that have strong connections to Applied Math include differential equations, linear algebra, and analysis. However, there are many other areas of Pure Math that can also be applied to various fields of Applied Math. It is important to research the specific program and its curriculum to see which areas of Pure Math are most relevant to that particular program.