• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Can a Pure Math undergrad get into an Applied Math PhD program?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Bennigan88
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I want to get my undergraduate in Pure math (I've taken and will take some additional CS courses). My question is, would I still be a competitive candidate for a PhD program in computational biology? (mathematical modelling of biological/behavioral/social systems) or should I really get my undergrad in Applied Math?

I've heard that you can go from Pure undergrad to Applied grad, but not the other way around. Any advice?

Answers and Replies

I think that in going from a math undergrad program to a graduate program, the distinction between pure vs. applied is the least of your concerns. I think you should try to find other ways to distinguish yourself, such as research opportunities.

-Dave K

MarneMath
Education Advisor
What you need to do is look at up PhD programs that have type of program you wand and look at the requirements they have for admission. I can basically promise you that they won't say "oh you need a pure or applied degree." If it's a math focus PhD the requriement is usually you need a B.s in Mathematics with course in linear algebra, real analysis I and II and modern algebra course. In my experience, applied math focus and pure math focus still take these coruses.

What you need to do is look at up PhD programs that have type of program you wand and look at the requirements they have for admission. I can basically promise you that they won't say "oh you need a pure or applied degree." If it's a math focus PhD the requriement is usually you need a B.s in Mathematics with course in linear algebra, real analysis I and II and modern algebra course. In my experience, applied math focus and pure math focus still take these coruses.
And even then, they will often accept you conditionally if you take a few of the missing courses, yeah?

-Dave K