1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Can a Pure Math undergrad get into an Applied Math PhD program?

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    I want to get my undergraduate in Pure math (I've taken and will take some additional CS courses). My question is, would I still be a competitive candidate for a PhD program in computational biology? (mathematical modelling of biological/behavioral/social systems) or should I really get my undergrad in Applied Math?

I've heard that you can go from Pure undergrad to Applied grad, but not the other way around. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2
    I think that in going from a math undergrad program to a graduate program, the distinction between pure vs. applied is the least of your concerns. I think you should try to find other ways to distinguish yourself, such as research opportunities.

-Dave K

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

What you need to do is look at up PhD programs that have type of program you wand and look at the requirements they have for admission. I can basically promise you that they won't say "oh you need a pure or applied degree." If it's a math focus PhD the requriement is usually you need a B.s in Mathematics with course in linear algebra, real analysis I and II and modern algebra course. In my experience, applied math focus and pure math focus still take these coruses.

5. Oct 31, 2012 #4
    And even then, they will often accept you conditionally if you take a few of the missing courses, yeah?

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook