Can a Strong Man Push Two Freight Cars at Different Speeds?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lynaa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
lynaa
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The strong man will push the two initially stationary freight cars of equal mass apart before he himself drops straight to the ground. Is it possible for him to give either of the cards a greater speed than the other? Why or why not?

Homework Equations


None this is a theory question.

The Attempt at a Solution


It is not possible for the strongman to push either of the cars with a greater speed than the other because when the man pushes against one car, he is using the other car as a brace. So the force of the man pushing on one car would create a reaction force against the second car.

I am not really sure this is the right answer. I don't completely understand this concept about action and reaction forces yet.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lynaa said:
So the force of the man pushing on one car would create a reaction force against the second car.

.

That part is right.

Is the "reaction" force on the second car equal in magnitude to the force on the first car?
 
rude man said:
That part is right.

Is the "reaction" force on the second car equal in magnitude to the force on the first car?

I think it should be because of Newton's third law? Or do I not understand how his law works as well?
 
lynaa said:
I think it should be because of Newton's third law? Or do I not understand how his law works as well?
Correct.
Now, if the same force magnitude is applied to objects of differing mass, would you expect them to move with the same magnitude of acceleration?