1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by man pushing a crate up a ramp, includin done on

1. Nov 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate work done by an 85 kg man who pushes a crate 4.00 m up a ramp at an angle 20 degrees to horizontal.
    He exerts a force of 500N on the crate parallel to the ramp, and moves at constant speed.
    Include the work that he does on the crate and on his body to get up the ramp.

2. Relevant equations
    I need to find the Force with which he moves himself up the ramp in other to determine the work he does on his body.
    I set up x and y components of the forces acting on the man to find the Force, and have come up with a negative magnitude.

--Is setting the x and y components for the forces acting on the man the appropriate strategy?
    -- do I include the force of the crate on the man?

3. The attempt at a solution
    file attached

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Suppose for a moment that it was only the man on the ramp (no crate). What work is required to move him 4 meters up the ramp? What force is he working against? Hint: work-energy theorem.

4. Nov 24, 2016 #3
    thank you

5. Nov 25, 2016 #4

gneill

In your attached work you had this portion:
    upload_2016-11-25_6-22-46.png

In the indicated equation what does the angle θ represent? Why did you set θ = 20° in the next line?

6. Nov 25, 2016 #5
    Should angle θ be "0"
    because the force applied is parallel to the angle of the ramp?

W =F d cos(θ) = 500 kg 4 m cos(0) = 2000 J , work done on crate

7. Nov 25, 2016 #6

gneill

Yes. The force is applied in the same direction as the motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted