What Is the Speed of Five Coupled Freight Cars After a Collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Sandro Romualdez

Homework Statement


Three freight cars of equal mass are coupled together. The freight cars are traveling at 6.7m/s down a straight track when they collide with two more stationary identical cars. If all five cars are coupled together after the collision, then what is their speed if they are on frictionless tracks?

Homework Equations


Law of conservation of momentum: p=p' or m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'

The Attempt at a Solution


From the question I can figure out that
m1 = 3x
m2 = 2x
v1 = 6.7m/s [Down]
v2 = 0m/s

and I need to find vsys'
the msys after the collision will equal 5x

am I right if I use:
m1v1+m2v2=msysvsys'
→ (3x)(6.7m/s [D])+(2x)(0m/s) = 5x(vsys')
→ 20.1x kg·m/s = 5x(vsys')
→ vsys' = 4.02 m/s [D]

and the speed after the collision will be 4.02m/s [Down]?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sandro Romualdez said:

Homework Statement


Three freight cars of equal mass are coupled together. The freight cars are traveling at 6.7m/s down a straight track when they collide with two more stationary identical cars. If all five cars are coupled together after the collision, then what is their speed if they are on frictionless tracks?
...

The Attempt at a Solution


From the question I can figure out that
m1 = 3x
m2 = 2x
v1 = 7.5m/s [Down]
v2 = 0m/s

and I need to find vsys'
the msys after the collision will equal 5x

am I right if I use:
m1v1+m2v2=msysvsys'
→ (3x)(7.5m/s [D])+(2x)(0m/s) = 5x(vsys')
→ 24.5 kg·m/s = 5x(vsys')
→ vsys' = 4.9 m/s [D]

and the speed after the collision will be 4.9m/s [Down]?
I don't see why you swap from 6.7 to 7.5 for the initial velocity.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sandro Romualdez
Merlin3189 said:
I don't see why you swap from 6.7 to 7.5 for the initial velocity.
Whoops, my mistake. I changed the speed now and calculated accordingly.
 
So you should be right when you correct that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sandro Romualdez
Merlin3189 said:
So you should be right when you correct that.
Alright, thank you.