Can a Tetrahedron be Constructed with the Given Equation in Natural Numbers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
1,864
Reaction score
34
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could find a solution to this:

[tex]d^2-ab=e^2-bc=f^2-ac[/tex]

in the natural numbers where not all variables are equal. I don't know how to make a computer program, but if it takes little time, I would really appreciate if I could have a solution to it.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let a, b, and c be any square numbers, and let d, e, and f be defined so that the differences are zero. The rest is trivially obvious.

If you want non-zero differences it will be more complicated.
 
Of course =) thanks (cant believe i didn't think of that)

Any solution a,b,c,d,e,f gives a tetrahedron of side lengths a,b,c,d,e,f where a sphere may be located within touching all sides - if my calculations are correct.