Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can an atom be anywhere in space?

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Is space like a checker board where the pieces can only be in certain places like X X X X X
    X X X XoX
    X X X X X
    o being a mass and X being the border which the mass can cross but not exist in.
    I thought that these places could over lap

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Now that's just silly. See Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the tortoise

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

clisp, You need to take a look at the PF Guidelines, particularly the part warning against posting of overly speculative ideas and personal theories.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4
    If there are a finite number of crackpots spread evenly throughout space, forever dissipating and reforming under new usernames as they are banished from places of light, could we distinguish this from the case of an infinite number of crackpots? :confused:

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5
    Well basically since I have never heard of anyone being able to trace a particle on it's exact path from one point to another that I would ask someone who might have.
    The question is still there.
    When traveling particle goes from 0 to 1 distance away does a particle have to go through .1, .11, .111, .1111, .11111 distance or does it jump from .1 strait to .2 with no infinitely small point in space in between.

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Folks are trying to tell you nicely that this is a well-known flawed argument. See Zeno's paradox and please understand that this is a poorly formed question in the world of quantum physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook