Dirac equation in the hydrogen atom

In summary, the Dirac spinor has a definite parity, but the two components have opposite parities, making the orbital angular momentum not a good quantum number. The non-relativistic labels for atomic states are often used as good approximations, even when considering relativistic effects.
Malamala
Hello! I went over a calculation of the hydrogen wavefunction using Dirac equation (this one) and I am a bit confused by the angular part. The final result for the wavefunction based on that derivation is this:

$$
\begin{pmatrix}
if(r) Y_{j l_A}^{m_j} \\
-g(r) \frac{\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{x}}{r}Y_{j l_A}^{m_j}
\end{pmatrix}
$$

where ##f(r)## and ##g(r)## are radial functions and ##Y_{j l_A}^{m_j}## are spin spherical harmonics. In the derivation they show that ##Y_{j l_A}^{m_j}## and ##-\frac{\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{x}}{r}Y_{j l_A}^{m_j}## differ in their value of orbital angular momentum, ##l## by 1 and they have opposite parities. For example, if ##j=1/2##, ##Y_{j l_A}^{m_j}## can have ##l=1## and ##-\frac{\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{x}}{r}Y_{j l_A}^{m_j}## would have ##l=0## (or the other way around). This implies (as it is mentioned in that derivation) that ##l## (##L^2## as an operator) is not a good quantum number for a Dirac spinor.

I am not sure how to think about this. For example the atomic states are usually labeled as ##^{2S+1}L_{J}##, which implies that the state has a definite orbital angular momentum, l. Is that just an approximation? Another thing I don't understand is the parity. As we are dealing only with electromagnetism, the wavefunctions should have a definite parity. But the top and bottom part in the spinor above have opposite parities, so it looks like the Dirac spinor doesn't have a defined parity. Can someone explain to me how should I think about these spinors? Should I look only at the top part? I know the bottom part is ignored in non-relativistic limit, but parity should still be a good quantum number even in the relativistic case (where I can't just ignore the bottom part).

Thank you!

Likes SergioPL
Physics news on Phys.org
The spinor above is indeed a valid solution of the Dirac equation and so it does have a definite parity. However, the parity of the two components of the spinor are opposite, which is why the angular part of the wavefunction does not have a definite orbital angular momentum. In the non-relativistic limit, the bottom component is ignored, so the wavefunction has a definite parity and a definite angular momentum. In terms of labeling atomic states, it is common to use the approximate non-relativistic labels, even when considering relativistic effects. This is because in many cases, the relativistic corrections are small and so the non-relativistic labels are still good approximations.

Likes SergioPL

1. What is the Dirac equation in the hydrogen atom?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of the electron in the hydrogen atom. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to account for the electron's spin and relativistic effects.

2. How does the Dirac equation differ from the Schrödinger equation?

The Dirac equation takes into account the electron's spin, while the Schrödinger equation does not. Additionally, the Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation, while the Schrödinger equation is non-relativistic.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac equation in the study of quantum mechanics?

The Dirac equation was a major breakthrough in the field of quantum mechanics. It provided a more accurate description of the behavior of electrons in atoms, taking into account their spin and relativistic effects. It also paved the way for the development of quantum field theory.

4. How does the Dirac equation explain the energy levels in the hydrogen atom?

The Dirac equation predicts the energy levels of the hydrogen atom by solving for the allowed solutions of the equation. These solutions correspond to the different energy levels of the atom, which can be observed experimentally.

5. Can the Dirac equation be applied to other atoms besides hydrogen?

Yes, the Dirac equation can be applied to other atoms with more than one electron. However, as the number of electrons increases, the calculations become more complex and approximations must be made. The Dirac equation is most accurate for atoms with only one electron, such as hydrogen.