1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can an isosceles triangle have 3 equal angles?

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Okay, I know I must sound like a complete idiot here, but please bear with me.

I've come across a scenario in which I have triangle ECF. Angle ECF = 60 degrees, Angles CEF and CFE are unknown, lengths EC and FC are unknown and equal and length EF is r√3 and not equal to lengths EC and FC

I know it has to be an isosceles triangle, but because angle ECF = 60 the remaining angles must both also be equal to 60 degrees.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Also, sorry if this is a very basic question but I have honestly never encountered this scenario before. Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

This is an impossible object.

However, isosceles triangles can have 3 equal angles, and it becomes a special type of isosceles triangle - the equilateral triangle. This is equivalent to a square being a special type of rectangle, which itself is a special type of parallelogram, which is a special quadrilateral.

4. May 9, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Such a triangle is possible on a sphere and some other objects, but not on a plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook