1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anybody guide me to learn physics?

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    I completed my degree in mechanical engineering. But I've got a passion in studying physics. And I'm thinking to study it at home. But i don't know where to start and how to go on.

I' not thinking like 'commercial' physics degree. I just need to understand quantum mechanics, relativity etc.. I need a listing of series of best books or resources that provide a good understanding in this.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start by reviewing your analytical mechanics: Lagrangians & Hamiltonians. You will need these for QM.
    Then review your linear algebra, especially the later parts about diagonalization, change of basis, and eigenvalues/eigenvectors. You will need these for QM.

A good place to start with QM is Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics".

For relativity I suggest Tayor & Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics".

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3
    How much do you already know? How much do you want to know?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook