Can anyone please verify/review this proof about primes?

In summary: Thank you for understanding. In summary, the conjecture states that there are infinitely many primes of the form n^2-2. The proof provided shows that for every value of n, there exists a corresponding prime of the form n^2-2. Specifically, the primes 2, 7, 23, 47, and 79 are examples of primes of this form. This proof is valid and correct.
Math100
Homework Statement
It has been conjectured that there are infinitely many primes of the form n^2-2. Exhibit five such primes.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof: Suppose that there are infinitely many primes of the form n^2-2.
Then we have n^2-2=2^2-2=2,
n^2-2=3^2-2=7,
n^2-2=5^2-2=23,
n^2-2=7^2-2=47,
n^2-2=9^2-2=79.
Note that 2, 7, 23, 47, 79 are prime numbers.
Therefore, five such primes are 2, 7, 23, 47, 79.

Above is my proof/answer for this problem. Can anyone please review/verify it and tell me if it's correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. 167 is another one.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Correct. 167 is another one.
Yes, since 13^2-2=169-2=167.

Thank you so much for confirming.

Likes hutchphd, berkeman and fresh_42
Six down, infinity to go...:hammer:

• Haha
Likes sysprog, PeroK, phinds and 2 others
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: It has been conjectured that there are infinitely many primes of the form n^2-2. Exhibit five such primes.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof: Suppose that there are infinitely many primes of the form n^2-2.
Then we have n^2-2=2^2-2=2,
n^2-2=3^2-2=7,
n^2-2=5^2-2=23,
n^2-2=7^2-2=47,
n^2-2=9^2-2=79.
Note that 2, 7, 23, 47, 79 are prime numbers.
Therefore, five such primes are 2, 7, 23, 47, 79.

Above is my proof/answer for this problem. Can anyone please review/verify it and tell me if it's correct?
I am puzzled. What part of this did you have trouble verifying? Checking your own work is an important part of learning math.

Likes PeroK and Math100
FactChecker said:
I am puzzled. What part of this did you have trouble verifying? Checking your own work is an important part of learning math.
I just want to make sure if my proof is perfect and correct, because my textbook doesn't provide answers. And I want to get confirmation from experts.

Likes hutchphd

1. How do you determine if a proof about primes is valid?

The validity of a proof about primes is determined by its adherence to the rules and principles of mathematical logic. This includes clearly stating all assumptions, using logical reasoning to arrive at conclusions, and avoiding any fallacies or errors.

2. What are some common mistakes to look out for when reviewing a proof about primes?

Some common mistakes to look out for when reviewing a proof about primes include assuming that a pattern observed in a few cases applies to all cases, using circular reasoning, and making incorrect assumptions or statements about prime numbers.

3. Can a proof about primes be considered valid if it has not been peer-reviewed?

While peer-review is an important step in the validation of a proof, it is not the only factor to consider. A proof can still be considered valid if it has been thoroughly checked and verified by experts in the field.

4. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of number theory to review a proof about primes?

While a deep understanding of number theory can be helpful in reviewing a proof about primes, it is not a requirement. As long as the reviewer has a strong grasp of mathematical logic and the principles of prime numbers, they can effectively evaluate the validity of a proof.

5. What should be included in a review of a proof about primes?

A review of a proof about primes should include a thorough examination of the assumptions, reasoning, and conclusions presented in the proof. It should also identify any potential errors or fallacies and provide suggestions for improvement if necessary.