1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone supply me with a picture of

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    a molecule?

I'm looking for a background to my A1 research poster. It has to do with molecular spectra...
    It needs a resolution of more than 3000x3000.

I've looked everywhere!:frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2
  4. Aug 6, 2008 #3
    ha! classic...

"It needs a resolution of more than 3000x3000"

- The first place I tried was google images...then 'advanced search' in google images to limit only "Large Size" pics. Nothing good enough to fit on A1 though.
    - Deviantart.com was good but still not large enough.

pffft...actual molecules...3d designs are more attracting in my opinion.

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
    I like this one:

[​IMG]

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5
    yuk :eek:

7. Aug 6, 2008 #6
    What kind do you want, ill render one in Max real fast. What colors, number, etc.

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7
    I need:
    molecule
    background color
    foreground color
    exact resolution. Is is square?

9. Aug 6, 2008 #8
    K.J.Healey --can you do something like drops of rain being blown from different angles and accelerating downward?

10. Aug 6, 2008 #9
    Wow really? That sounds brilliant.
    I was looking for something like this (without the wooden floor):
    [​IMG]

You can choose whatever colours you like and I will modify my font accordingly.
    The poster size is 841mm (horizontal) x 594mm (vertical), at a 300dpi printing resolution that should give an image resolution of:
    10,000(h) x 7,015(v) pixels!
    I guess as close as you can to that.

omg I can't believe you can just "render one real fast"...

11. Aug 6, 2008 #10
    I also don't care on the molecule type... surprise me. (please not cocaine or weed of some sort).

12. Aug 6, 2008 #11
    Probably, but thats a lot more work than what I'm willing to do before bed :)
    I assume you would just mean a bunch of drops randomly oriented about the z direction by some small angle? (z is up)
    Or do you mean different zones. If it gets complicated enough, i just set up the system and lets 3dsmax's physics evolve it. Otherwise i do it by hand.

13. Aug 6, 2008 #12
    Are you replying to rewebster or me??

14. Aug 6, 2008 #13
    I don't need it right now--maybe a couple months--I'll PM you later

15. Aug 6, 2008 #14
    hey n0_3sc --couldn't you photoshop the wood out? It is a graphic -not a photo

16. Aug 6, 2008 #15
    I have no photoshop experiance at all, and even if that could be done, that image gets highly 'pixelated' on an A1 poster.

17. Aug 6, 2008 #16
    I was replying to webster. Im rendering your huge file now. If its too big in bitmap ill jpeg compress it.

18. Aug 6, 2008 #17
    http://www.krishealey.com/molecule1jp.jpg

Thats what I can do. Takes about 30 seconds to render on my laptop. I can change/add anything, its really quite fast. Let me know about colors, position, etc.

19. Aug 6, 2008 #18
    Dear GOD you are a L.E.G.E.N.D. :surprised

I tested the pic out on my poster and was wondering if it would be possible to replace the pink with red/maroon? The font was unreadable (when it overlapped with the image), perhaps put a solid black colored background?

Thanks a lot!

20. Aug 6, 2008 #19
  21. Aug 6, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?