Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone supply me with a picture of

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    a molecule?

I'm looking for a background to my A1 research poster. It has to do with molecular spectra...
    It needs a resolution of more than 3000x3000.

I've looked everywhere!:frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2
  4. Aug 6, 2008 #3
    ha! classic...

"It needs a resolution of more than 3000x3000"

- The first place I tried was google images...then 'advanced search' in google images to limit only "Large Size" pics. Nothing good enough to fit on A1 though.
    - Deviantart.com was good but still not large enough.

pffft...actual molecules...3d designs are more attracting in my opinion.

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
    I like this one:

[​IMG]

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5
    yuk :eek:

7. Aug 6, 2008 #6
    What kind do you want, ill render one in Max real fast. What colors, number, etc.

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7
    I need:
    molecule
    background color
    foreground color
    exact resolution. Is is square?

9. Aug 6, 2008 #8
    K.J.Healey --can you do something like drops of rain being blown from different angles and accelerating downward?

10. Aug 6, 2008 #9
    Wow really? That sounds brilliant.
    I was looking for something like this (without the wooden floor):
    [​IMG]

You can choose whatever colours you like and I will modify my font accordingly.
    The poster size is 841mm (horizontal) x 594mm (vertical), at a 300dpi printing resolution that should give an image resolution of:
    10,000(h) x 7,015(v) pixels!
    I guess as close as you can to that.

omg I can't believe you can just "render one real fast"...

11. Aug 6, 2008 #10
    I also don't care on the molecule type... surprise me. (please not cocaine or weed of some sort).

12. Aug 6, 2008 #11
    Probably, but thats a lot more work than what I'm willing to do before bed :)
    I assume you would just mean a bunch of drops randomly oriented about the z direction by some small angle? (z is up)
    Or do you mean different zones. If it gets complicated enough, i just set up the system and lets 3dsmax's physics evolve it. Otherwise i do it by hand.

13. Aug 6, 2008 #12
    Are you replying to rewebster or me??

14. Aug 6, 2008 #13
    I don't need it right now--maybe a couple months--I'll PM you later

15. Aug 6, 2008 #14
    hey n0_3sc --couldn't you photoshop the wood out? It is a graphic -not a photo

16. Aug 6, 2008 #15
    I have no photoshop experiance at all, and even if that could be done, that image gets highly 'pixelated' on an A1 poster.

17. Aug 6, 2008 #16
    I was replying to webster. Im rendering your huge file now. If its too big in bitmap ill jpeg compress it.

18. Aug 6, 2008 #17
    http://www.krishealey.com/molecule1jp.jpg

Thats what I can do. Takes about 30 seconds to render on my laptop. I can change/add anything, its really quite fast. Let me know about colors, position, etc.

19. Aug 6, 2008 #18
    Dear GOD you are a L.E.G.E.N.D. :surprised

I tested the pic out on my poster and was wondering if it would be possible to replace the pink with red/maroon? The font was unreadable (when it overlapped with the image), perhaps put a solid black colored background?

Thanks a lot!

20. Aug 6, 2008 #19
  21. Aug 6, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?