Could anyone me with identifying a molecule?

• Thread starter djembefolla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary: I found this information on Google Images. The structure seems to be a molecule called 2,4-dimethyl-3-isopropylpentane. I'm not sure if all of the dots are carbon, but it might work.
djembefolla
How did you find PF?: Google search

Hello everyone. my name is Gary, I'm a British Journalist working for a Mexican TV news station. We are reporting on the appearance of a large crop circle that's been made in the UK today, which resembles some kind of chemical molecule. I've attached a picture. If anyone recognises it's structure and could let me know, i'd be greatly obliged.

Attachments

• 117426562_2777032029287504_3686689345936135834_o.jpg
    117426562_2777032029287504_3686689345936135834_o.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 218
Chemistry news on Phys.org
2,4-dimethyl-3-isopropylpentane, would work, if the dots are all carbons? I'm sure there are probably other molecules with the same structure...

Likes djembefolla, sysprog and hutchphd
Triaminoamine would fit as well.

PS: and trinitramide (that would even have the planar structure)

Likes sysprog, hutchphd and etotheipi
Why a chemical? Looks like a mapping of a tree heirarchy or logic map. Triaminoamine doesn’t exist. Guanidine does exist.

shjacks45 said:
Why a chemical?

Looks to me like a cartoon alien.

Likes Hamiltonian
Perhaps its what they really look like...lets not alienate them.

DrStupid said:
Triaminoamine doesn’t exist. Guanidine does exist.

But guanidine lacks an atom. Do you mean the guanidinium ion?

djembefolla said:
Hello everyone. my name is Gary, I'm a British Journalist working for a Mexican TV news station. We are reporting on the appearance of a large crop circle that's been made in the UK today
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Gary. Interesting juxtaposition of counties...

Anyway, Google Images : Search By Image turns up lots of similar nonsense, so it's just another example of folks messing with you, IMO. Have a nice day.

1596929059896.png

Likes BillTre and Vanadium 50
Some of these are really impressive. There should be a contest.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Astronuc, hutchphd and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe @ZapperZ should have a photo contest thread for crop circle photos from members who have stomped them out themselves...

• Haha
Likes phinds
Vanadium 50 said:

People do these things to impress others and make something better than previous ones, to me that sounds like a contest, just an informal one.

etotheipi said:
2,4-dimethyl-3-isopropylpentane, would work, if the dots are all carbons? I'm sure there are probably other molecules with the same structure...
Thank you.

1. What is the process for identifying a molecule?

The process for identifying a molecule involves several steps. First, the molecule is isolated and purified from a sample. Then, various analytical techniques such as mass spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and infrared spectroscopy are used to determine the molecular weight, structure, and functional groups present. Finally, the data from these techniques are compared to databases and known spectra to identify the molecule.

2. Can a molecule's identity be determined solely by its chemical formula?

No, a molecule's identity cannot be determined solely by its chemical formula. While the chemical formula provides information about the types and number of atoms present, it does not give information about the arrangement of these atoms or the types of bonds between them. Therefore, additional analytical techniques are needed to fully identify a molecule.

3. How accurate are the methods used for identifying molecules?

The accuracy of methods used for identifying molecules can vary depending on the technique used. Mass spectrometry is generally considered to have high accuracy, while spectroscopy techniques can have some limitations and may require additional confirmation. It is important to use multiple techniques and compare data to ensure the most accurate identification.

4. Is there a limit to the size or complexity of a molecule that can be identified?

Yes, there are limits to the size and complexity of molecules that can be identified. Some techniques, such as mass spectrometry, have a limit on the size of molecules they can analyze. Additionally, highly complex molecules may be difficult to identify due to overlapping signals in spectroscopy data. In these cases, advanced techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy can be used to break down the molecule into smaller fragments for analysis.

5. Can computer programs be used to identify molecules?

Yes, computer programs can be used to assist in the identification of molecules. These programs use databases and algorithms to match experimental data to known spectra and structures. However, it is important to note that these programs should be used in conjunction with other techniques and should not be relied upon as the sole method for identifying a molecule.