Can bad bacteria form on the sauerkraut under the brine

In summary, bad bacteria can potentially form on sauerkraut under the brine, creating a foul smell, slimy texture, and discoloration. To prevent this, it is important to follow proper fermentation techniques and discard any sauerkraut that shows signs of spoilage. The time it takes for bad bacteria to form can vary, but sauerkraut should typically be ready to eat after 2-4 weeks of fermentation.
rajeshmarndi
Also does bad bacteria(mold) forms on the weight(i.e use to submerged the cabbage) ,on the portion that is above the brine. I use glass paper weight, as I think they only form on food surface.

My thought, sauerkraut is safe, as long it is submerged inside the brine and mold formation is only above the brine surface.

Thanks a lot.

Biology news on Phys.org
This article indicates that mold may not be safe (note that the article assumes the reader lives in a temperate, not tropical, climate):
http://extension.psu.edu/food/preservation/news/2012/sauerkraut

1. Can bad bacteria form on the sauerkraut under the brine?

Yes, bad bacteria can potentially form on sauerkraut under the brine. This is because the brine creates an anaerobic (oxygen-free) environment which can allow for the growth of harmful bacteria.

2. What are some signs that bad bacteria have formed on sauerkraut under the brine?

Some signs that bad bacteria have formed on sauerkraut under the brine include a foul smell, slimy texture, and discoloration. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to discard the sauerkraut to avoid potential foodborne illness.

3. How can I prevent bad bacteria from forming on sauerkraut under the brine?

The best way to prevent bad bacteria from forming on sauerkraut under the brine is to follow proper fermentation techniques. This includes using clean equipment, properly salting the sauerkraut, and ensuring that all of the cabbage is submerged under the brine. Using a fermentation weight can also help to keep the sauerkraut submerged and prevent the growth of bad bacteria.

4. Is it safe to eat sauerkraut that has formed bad bacteria under the brine?

No, it is not safe to eat sauerkraut that has formed bad bacteria under the brine. Consuming contaminated sauerkraut can lead to food poisoning and other health issues. It is important to always discard sauerkraut that shows signs of spoilage.

5. How long can sauerkraut sit under the brine before bad bacteria forms?

The time it takes for bad bacteria to form on sauerkraut under the brine can vary depending on factors such as temperature and salt concentration. In general, sauerkraut should be ready to eat after 2-4 weeks of fermentation. However, it is important to regularly check the sauerkraut for signs of spoilage and discard it if necessary.