Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can black holes have net color charge? can a BHs help separate quarks?

1. Jul 15, 2013 #1
    similar to the rough picture of how BHs radiate if I put a proton next to a BH can one of the quarks be absorbed into the BH and the other two escape?

I don't really understand confinement very well but does the confinement picture change next to BH horizon?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2013 #2
    I'm fairly certain the answer is no. The remains of the proton will no longer have net color charge zero, but it still has to follow confinement for sure. Further, there is nothing special about the event horizon that would prevent the usual mechanisms from working here: as the pair tries to escape to infinity, the force exerted by the color charge of the black hole will increase, eventually either pulling them back in, or creating new particles to balance the color charge.

4. Jul 22, 2013 #3
    From an outside point of view, it takes infinite time for any part of the proton to enter the black hole.
    From the proton's point of view, it falls in all at once.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook