Can Broccoli and NMN Help Slow Down the Aging Process?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, NMN supplementation has been shown to increase NAD levels in mice, and may have anti-aging effects in humans. Eat broccoli instead.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161027122047.htm
nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) -> NAD is once again in the news. Anti-aging effects.

Note that there are previous mouse studies that show NMN rapidly converts into available NAD in vivo.
Nicotinamide dinuclueotide (NAD) levels and production go down in mouse tissues as the mouse ages. Humans as well. The concept is to supplement NMN thus increasing NAD levels, which in mice has been demonstrated to have an effect.

NMN is found in broccoli and some of its cruciferous companions like cabbage and brussel sprouts. Which are safe to eat. Even though you may find them revolting.

Unfortunately, I would suspect NMN will become the next anti-aging "hot" supplement. A word to the wise: there are transport molecules (e.g., passenger specific lipoproteins ) that act like little shuttles to move nutrients around in the bloodstream and into cells. The transport system can be swamped by supplements. The same lipoprotein "taxi" that moves vitamin C also moves Zn and Cu. So if you take 1000mg of vitamin C, the transport system breaks down for Zn and Cu because the system is overloaded with vitamin C passengers. Over time with continued supplementation you become deficient in Cu and/or Zn.

I believe this model works for larger molecules, like NMN, as well.

Eat broccoli instead. BTW it has vitamin C.

Likes kyle swanson, Daveyzombie, Evo and 2 others
Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks! this was a really cool post :D

Hi Jim. Do you know if NMN in vegetables gets broken down at all with cooking?

Is cooking those vegetables beneficial in any way, perhaps by making the compound easier to absorb?

https://books.google.com/books?id=IjqaBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=is+NMN+heat+stable&source=bl&ots=eY6VXsNAEe&sig=5G-ywjWf5_W_Wv3ZC77R0DsAd18&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsmcCA2YPQAhXG5SYKHW59DG4Q6AEIODAE#v=onepage&q=is NMN heat stable&f=false

IF you can read it, says that NMN is heat stable at 95° C for 6 minutes. . So the method of cooking veggies and what nutrient you want to keep is everything. Bioavailability is increased for some foods and some nutrients. Broccoli does show increased availability of polyphenols with low moisture cooking for example.

See: https://authoritynutrition.com/cooking-nutrient-content for a very generalized overview for lay people. Leaching nutrients out of food is more important for water soluble nutrients. NMN is water soluble - 10mg/ml
This topic, raw vs cooked, is 'controversial' in our Western society - which means nutrition science is becoming a take or leave it thing, a DIY reality, not-Science. . Food preps are among the worst areas IMO. Ever see a VitaMix ad?

Likes Q_Goest and Evo
I love broccoli and cauliflower slightly roasted, I wonder if that is ok? I know vegetables like collard greens must be cooked in order for humans to be able to access the vitamins and minerals, and then you also consume the water they cook in which is referred to as pot liquor.

Here is an example from Nutrition data's website.

Collard 1 cup chopped raw

RDA
Vitamin A 48%
Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 5%
Iron 0%

Collard 1 cup cooked, drained

Vitamin A 308%
Vitamin C 58%
Calcium 27%
Iron 12%

Cooking breaks down the tough cellular walls and allows the vitamins to be absorbed. Eaten raw, the human body is unable to absorb the nutrients.

For someone that wants another source http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch55.html#Nutrition

Last edited:
Likes Daveyzombie and jim mcnamara
In a way, you can think of cooking as something like predigestion. Rendering the food for easier complete digestion. Cooking gave early humans advantages: fewer parasites in food, fewer food-borne pathogens, and more nutritional bang for the buck spent finding and gathering food.

Last edited:
Likes Evo
Evo said:
Cooking breaks down the tough cellular walls and allows the vitamins to be absorbed. Eaten raw, the human body is unable to absorb the nutrients.

Actually there is extra factor to consider. Anti-nutrients are common in some raw foods. Examples: phytates, saponins, lectins. Anti-nutrients render nutrient molecules undigestable.
A look at phytates -
Phytates are common in beans - pinto beans, black beans,and so on. Phytate actually 'gloms' onto some kinds nutrients in the human gut. Raw green peas - like snap peas in a salad, can denature proteins making them very close to undigestable and render Zn, Cu and some other micronutrients unavailable. Cooked green peas do not exhibit much of this. Dosa is an Indian flat bread-like food item. Tastes great. They are made from fermented lentils in South India. Phytates are reduced during fermentation.

http://indianhealthyrecipes.com/dosa-recipe-dosa-batter/ If you ever made lentil soup, the cooking time is ~1hour, fermented lentils about 20 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid (phytates are the salt.)

jim mcnamara said:
Unfortunately, I would suspect NMN will become the next anti-aging "hot" supplement.

Indeed. I suspect the only true anti-aging agent is a rocket engine. But the folks over in the relativity forum would probably point out that you always age at the same rate in your own frame of reference (rats! foiled again!).

I know I'm way late to the party here but... can someone tell me how much NMN is in one serving of broccoli? I can't seem to find any references...

kyle swanson said:
I know I'm way late to the party here but... can someone tell me how much NMN is in one serving of broccoli? I can't seem to find any references...
So far there haven't been any studies that have shown positive effects on humans. From 2017.

Data from studies conducted in rodents have shown that NMN supplementation has beneficial effects on cardiovascular and metabolic health, but this has not yet been studied in people.

Effect of "Nicotinamide Mononucleotide" (NMN) on Cardiometabolic Function (NMN)

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03151239

@kyle swanson You make the stuff in your cells from the niacin in foods.

Find any food and what it contains in the USDA nutrient database. In fact the default food example is "broccoli, raw". Select standard reference in the first box.
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2871 <- this shows raw broccoli.

Click the 'Full Report (all nutrients) box to see all data for it. It has .581mg of niacin in a cup of chopped raw broccoli.

Niagen and other NMN supplements are expensive. As all get out. Mice do better on supplementation. There is no proof that people get benefits from taking supplements of the stuff. Click the link Evo gave on the trial for NMN supplementation for diabetics.. The trial will complete on or before 2020.

There are LOTS of studies to show that eating properly prepared broccoli and its cousins have positive effects on humans. i.e., do not overcook it, do NOT boil it, steam it or microwave it.

Likes Evo and kyle swanson
jim mcnamara said:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161027122047.htm
nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) -> NAD is once again in the news. Anti-aging effects.

Note that there are previous mouse studies that show NMN rapidly converts into available NAD in vivo.
Nicotinamide dinuclueotide (NAD) levels and production go down in mouse tissues as the mouse ages. Humans as well. The concept is to supplement NMN thus increasing NAD levels, which in mice has been demonstrated to have an effect.

NMN is found in broccoli and some of its cruciferous companions like cabbage and brussel sprouts. Which are safe to eat. Even though you may find them revolting.

Unfortunately, I would suspect NMN will become the next anti-aging "hot" supplement. A word to the wise: there are transport molecules (e.g., passenger specific lipoproteins ) that act like little shuttles to move nutrients around in the bloodstream and into cells. The transport system can be swamped by supplements. The same lipoprotein "taxi" that moves vitamin C also moves Zn and Cu. So if you take 1000mg of vitamin C, the transport system breaks down for Zn and Cu because the system is overloaded with vitamin C passengers. Over time with continued supplementation you become deficient in Cu and/or Zn.

I believe this model works for larger molecules, like NMN, as well.

I actually like broccoli, cooked and smothered in butter:) I wonder if cooking screws up the NMN bit. I don't mind raw either if I can soak it in sauce.

jim mcnamara said:
@kyle swanson You make the stuff in your cells from the niacin in foods.

Find any food and what it contains in the USDA nutrient database. In fact the default food example is "broccoli, raw". Select standard reference in the first box.
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2871 <- this shows raw broccoli.

Click the 'Full Report (all nutrients) box to see all data for it. It has .581mg of niacin in a cup of chopped raw broccoli.

Niagen and other NMN supplements are expensive. As all get out. Mice do better on supplementation. There is no proof that people get benefits from taking supplements of the stuff. Click the link Evo gave on the trial for NMN supplementation for diabetics.. The trial will complete on or before 2020.

There are LOTS of studies to show that eating properly prepared broccoli and its cousins have positive effects on humans. i.e., do not overcook it, do NOT boil it, steam it or microwave it.
Thanks! I was just trying to calculate how much broccoli humans would need to eat to equate the similar rodents dosages in a study I was reading. It was 300-500mg/kg/day. Looks we'd probably have to eat A LOT of broccoli. LOL!

jim mcnamara said:
I had a huge crop of broccoli in my garden this year. I'll plant more next year!

1. What is the connection between broccoli, NMN, and anti-aging?

Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that contains a compound called sulforaphane, which has been shown to activate the production of an enzyme called NAD+, which is essential for cellular energy production. NMN, or nicotinamide mononucleotide, is a precursor to NAD+ and has been found to increase NAD+ levels in the body. As we age, NAD+ levels naturally decrease, leading to cellular energy decline and potential aging effects. By increasing NAD+ levels through broccoli consumption or NMN supplementation, it is possible to slow down the aging process.

2. How does broccoli and NMN affect the aging process?

Broccoli and NMN have been found to increase NAD+ levels, which play a crucial role in cellular energy production. By maintaining high levels of NAD+, cells are able to function efficiently and potentially slow down the aging process. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of broccoli can help protect cells from damage and delay aging effects.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the anti-aging benefits of broccoli and NMN?

Yes, there have been several studies conducted on the anti-aging effects of broccoli and NMN. One study found that sulforaphane from broccoli can increase lifespan and delay aging in worms. Another study showed that NMN supplementation can improve mitochondrial function and extend lifespan in mice. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effects of broccoli and NMN on human aging.

4. Can consuming too much broccoli or taking too much NMN be harmful?

While broccoli is generally safe to consume in moderate amounts, excessive intake may cause gas, bloating, and discomfort. As for NMN, there is currently limited research on its long-term effects and recommended dosage. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.

5. Are there other foods or supplements that have similar anti-aging effects?

Yes, there are several other foods and supplements that have been found to have anti-aging effects. Some examples include resveratrol, found in red wine and grapes, and curcumin, found in turmeric. Additionally, maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise can also help slow down the aging process.

Back