One of my Favorite Parasites
- Thread starter BillTre
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 3K views
Biology news on Phys.org
Discussion
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Yeah, that one is particularly nasty. Poor fish is eating and eating not understanding why not much enters the stomach. Look up hyperparasites too. I think the record is about 14, where only the innermost one survives. Natures sure isn't pretty!
EDIT: Well, I don't know where I came up with that number. I seem to remember reading it but I may be wrong...
EDIT2: And apparently superparasite is a word too. Sounds really nice.
EDIT: Well, I don't know where I came up with that number. I seem to remember reading it but I may be wrong...
EDIT2: And apparently superparasite is a word too. Sounds really nice.

pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
That is horrific.BillTre said:
Cepacia
- 26
- 11
My favorite - Dracunculus medinensis - dragon of Medina. Great life cycle
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,705
Jimmy Carter was their nemesis.Cepacia said:My favorite - Dracunculus medinensis - dragon of Medina. Great life cycle
Human parasite. Nasty to get.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,098
sbrothy said:Look up hyperparasites too.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Favourite is the wrong word but this stood out when I read about it.
River blindness caused a combination of Black fly bite then infection of the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus (seen exiting the fly via its antenna below)
Once in the body larvae do the damage to the tissues including the cornea.
This cycle has additional effect of the bacterium, Wolbachia (present in the worms) which increases the inflammatory response.
So not one but three organisms working together. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onchocerca_volvulus
River blindness caused a combination of Black fly bite then infection of the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus (seen exiting the fly via its antenna below)
Once in the body larvae do the damage to the tissues including the cornea.
This cycle has additional effect of the bacterium, Wolbachia (present in the worms) which increases the inflammatory response.
So not one but three organisms working together. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onchocerca_volvulus
Similar threads
- Spathi
- · Replies 2 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 2
- CPW
- · Replies 2 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 2
- lisab
- · Replies 31 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 31
- Aarav
- · Replies 21 ·
- Science and Math Textbooks
- Replies
- 21
- metapuff
- · Replies 21 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 21
- ElectroBurger
- · Replies 15 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 15
- 1MileCrash
- · Replies 3 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 3
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 26 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 26
- edward
- · Replies 6 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 6
- Fellowroot
- · Replies 8 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 8