Can Complex Numbers Really Be Interpreted as Energy Levels in Physics?

In summary, the author of "A Prime Case of Chaos" discusses the interpretation of the zeroes of the zeta function by physicists as energy levels. However, the non-trivial zeroes of the zeta function are complex numbers while energy levels are real numbers, leading to a discrepancy. Furthermore, while the Selberg trace formula relates to the spectrum of quantal motion on surfaces of negative curvature, it does not address the detailed properties of the discrete energy spectrum. This makes it difficult to answer the question of how complex numbers can be interpreted as energy levels. Additionally, the author expresses doubt that applying physical ideas to prove the Riemann Hypothesis will be successful, as mathematics and physics are fundamentally different approaches to understanding the world.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In "A Prime Case of Chaos" (http://www.ams.org/samplings/math-history/prime-chaos.pdf), the author states that "Physicists ... believe the zeroes of the zeta function can be interpreted as energy levels..." I have two problems with this:

(1) the non-trivial zeroes of the zeta function are complex numbers, and energy levels, such as the Ryberg formula, are real numbers. So how could you interpret something like (1/2) + (14.134725)i as an energy level?

(2) the three dots in the above quote say that this is tied to the zeta function being a trace formula. Following this lead, the best my very limited background in the mathematics needed for this physics could come up with, was in "Selberg trace formula and zeta functions" at http://empslocal.ex.ac.uk/people/staff/mrwatkin//zeta/physics4.htm, where it explains:

"Selberg trace formula ... relates ... the spectrum of the quantal motion on compact surfaces of negative curvature ...; however, it does not address itself ...to ... the detailed properties of the discrete energy spectrum ..."

which led me to a dead end in trying to answer my question (1), although that may be due to my limited grasp of what the formula is saying.

If a response gives any sources, could they please be on-line sources that are freely accessible?

If this should go in some other category, please let me know. I put it here because of the connection to the Riemann Hypothesis.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen a couple of ideas how to prove and even claims of proofs in the recent years. Some of them tried to apply physical ideas, a technique which I very much doubt will ever be successful.

One could associate the real coefficient of the complex number as energy state, but a physical model wouldn't seriously claim to hold true up to infinity.

However, physics is a descriptive science like all natural sciences, whereas mathematics isn't a natural science but a deductive science. This is a fundamentally inherent difference and I do not see how these could ever match. We might have found ##\pi, e## or Fibonacci sequences in nature, but never the other way around.

1. What are RH zeroes as energy levels?

RH zeroes refer to the energy levels of an atom or molecule. These energy levels are determined by the arrangement of electrons in the atom or molecule.

2. How are RH zeroes related to the energy of an atom?

The energy of an atom is determined by the arrangement of electrons in its energy levels. RH zeroes are a way of representing these energy levels.

3. What is the significance of RH zeroes in chemistry?

RH zeroes play a crucial role in understanding the electronic structure and properties of atoms and molecules. They help in predicting the behavior and reactivity of these substances.

4. How are RH zeroes calculated?

RH zeroes are calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the system and the wave function of the electrons.

5. Can RH zeroes change in an atom or molecule?

Yes, RH zeroes can change if the electron arrangement in an atom or molecule is altered. This can happen due to external factors such as energy input, chemical reactions, or interactions with other substances.