Can Electrical Resistance be Measured Along Meridians and Parallels?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Numeriprimi
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
Hello.
I am sorry for my English, because I am from the Czech Republic.
---

I have an example. I don't know how to calculate it. Can you help me?


Along the meridians and parallels are stretched wires.

a) What electrical resistance we will measure between the Earth's poles?
What electrical resistance we will measure between two nodes, that lie on the equator and opposite each other?

I think, the first case, parallel can we deleted, because they intersect places with the same electric potential and count parallel connection.

But , I don't know... Can you help me?

Thanks very much :-)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the resistance of your wires?
How many wires are there?

The second equation might be messy or need some approximation or additional assumption.

I think, the first case, parallel can we deleted, because they intersect places with the same electric potential and count parallel connection.
Right
 
The resistance value is unknown, it is "q".
"q" is directly proportional to the length. However, leght is not important now.
Relevant is process.
How many wires... Classical system on Earth- 360/15=24--- 24 parallel, 24 meridians.

Hmmm... The second- Do you understand? Isn't it unintelligibly?
 
How many wires... Classical system on Earth- 360/15=24--- 24 parallel, 24 meridians.
Ah, good. It can be solved with a big equation system and Kirchhoff's laws. Maybe there is some trick I do not see to simplify the problem.
I would expect some value comparable to the first one, probably larger by a factor of ~2-3.
 
The symmetry of the problem should be considered.
For the first case, the wires along the parallels should have zero current, shouldn't them?
All the points of the meridians have the same potential at the same latitude.
If there were current through the parallel lines, which way will go? East or West?
 
Tonight I will calculate and drawing this... then I will write somethink.