Can electromagnetic waves traverse wormholes?

In summary, there is no evidence that we can create nano sized wormholes to send information faster than light to other stars.
GatherEvidence
Hello I'm new to this forum and interested in astrophysics and metaphysics. My first question here is if we can create nano sized wormholes to send information faster than light to other stars for example. We don't need to travel if we could send small satellites or even just radiowaves to the stars out there. Wouldnt we be able to eventually reach alien civilizations out there?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We can't create wormholes full stop.

As far as we're aware wormholes require exotic matter which has never been observed and doesn't exist as far as we know. For wormholes, in short, I'm afraid relativity takes "you can't do that" and turns it into "you could do that if you could do something impossible first".

(Changed thread prefix from "A" = Advanced/Graduate School level discussion to "B" = Basic level discussion.)

Ibix said:
We can't create wormholes full stop.

As far as we're aware wormholes require exotic matter which has never been observed and doesn't exist as far as we know. For wormholes, in short, I'm afraid relativity takes "you can't do that" and turns it into "you could do that if you could do something impossible first".
I've came across some articles stating scientists have created wormholes in the lab.
Nevertheless my question was different.

GatherEvidence said:
I've came across some articles stating scientists have created wormholes in the lab.
Where? They're either rubbish or you are misunderstanding something.
GatherEvidence said:
Nevertheless my question was different.
How so? Your question as far as I can see started with "if we can create nano sized wormholes". We can't. So we can't reach alien civilizations that way. Did I miss something in your OP?

Likes ohwilleke
GatherEvidence said:
Hello I'm new to this forum and interested in astrophysics and metaphysics. My first question here is if we can create nano sized wormholes to send information faster than light to other stars for example. We don't need to travel if we could send small satellites or even just radiowaves to the stars out there. Wouldnt we be able to eventually reach alien civilizations out there?
Welcome to PF.

No, whether or not wormholes exist, information cannot propagate faster than light.

We have sent small machines into interstellar space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_program
As of 2022, the Voyagers are still in operation past the outer boundary of the heliosphere in interstellar space.

Astrophysicists have advanced some arguments on the probabilities of detecting extraterrestrial radio using life within our galaxy. We passively search for ET intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_for_extraterrestrial_intelligence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
The Drake equation is a probabilistic argument used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way Galaxy.[1][2]

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too
GatherEvidence said:
No you didn't. If you give us a reference, we might be able to tell you what you did read.

In any event, a wormhole will collapse on itself before light can traverse it.

Likes ohwilleke
Let's not add uncertainty and confusion by guessing what the OP read.

Likes Motore

1. Can electromagnetic waves travel through wormholes?

Yes, according to theoretical physics, electromagnetic waves can traverse through wormholes. However, this has not been proven experimentally yet.

2. How do electromagnetic waves travel through wormholes?

Electromagnetic waves can travel through wormholes because they are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields, which are able to pass through the curvature of space-time in a wormhole.

3. Are there any limitations to the transmission of electromagnetic waves through wormholes?

Yes, there are limitations. The size and stability of the wormhole, as well as the amount of energy required, can impact the ability of electromagnetic waves to travel through it. Additionally, the exotic matter needed to keep the wormhole open may not allow for the transmission of electromagnetic waves.

4. Could we use wormholes to communicate with other parts of the universe?

It is currently not possible to use wormholes for communication, as they are purely theoretical constructs and have not been proven to exist. Additionally, even if they did exist, the limitations and challenges mentioned above would make it difficult to use them for communication purposes.

5. What are the potential implications of electromagnetic waves traveling through wormholes?

If proven to be possible, the ability of electromagnetic waves to travel through wormholes could have significant implications for our understanding of space-time and the laws of physics. It could also potentially open up new avenues for communication and travel in the future.