Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can electromagnetic waves be turned into each other?

1. Feb 14, 2015 #1
    hey, i was wondering if this can be possible by human force, if so why are we not finding this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is the difference between "one electromagnetic wave" and "another one"? Does a mirror count?

If you want to change the frequency: this is possible with wavelength shifters, acousto-optic modulators, frequency doubling and a few other techiques.

4. Feb 14, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Or simply affect a (large) difference in velocity between yourself and the emitter.

5. Feb 14, 2015 #4
    Does gravitational red/blue shifting also counts?

6. Feb 14, 2015 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Hi jukzzhd,

I see that people had trouble with a previous question from you because you tried to translate it from your native language into English:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gas-pressure.784732/

After you tried again with more words and detail, people could see what you were really asking about. I suggest you try that here also.

7. Feb 15, 2015 #6
    actually i mean like, if we can turn radio waves into gamma waves ? sorry for the mistake ive made.

8. Feb 15, 2015 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Set up a radio receiver to harvest the energy from radio waves to charge a large battery. Use the large battery to power a gamma ray generator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook