Can Ethyl Acetate be Used to Remove PLA from Plaster of Paris Molds?

  • Topic: Misc. 
  • Thread starter Thread starter inspacewithcallisto
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    3d printing Chemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
inspacewithcallisto
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
I need something that will dissolve PLA but won't affect plaster of paris.
I'm trying to make a mold because I want to add something to some jewelry. I 3D printed the symbol that I wanted, and tried to make a mold with Plaster of Paris. But I can't take the print out of the plaster, and I don't want to damage it with a knife. I'm thinking ethyl acetate? A quick google search says it melts PLA, but I don't know what it does to plaster. Anyone have any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Could you try it again and use a mold release compound to make it easier to take apart?
 
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Could you try it again and use a mold release compound to make it easier to take apart?
i don't think i have access to that :(
 
inspacewithcallisto said:
i don't think i have access to that :(
Why not? There are lots of mold release agents/compounds, including some that you can make for yourself. And Amazon has plenty of choices...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mold+rel...ture-scomp&tag=amz-mkt-fox-us-20&ref=aa_scomp

1665082127387.png
 
inspacewithcallisto said:
tried to make a mold with Plaster of Paris
No idea what you plan to do, just in case: plaster of Paris won't survive high temperatures.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: inspacewithcallisto and berkeman
inspacewithcallisto said:
Summary: I need something that will dissolve PLA but won't affect plaster of paris.

I'm trying to make a mold because I want to add something to some jewelry. I 3D printed the symbol that I wanted, and tried to make a mold with Plaster of Paris.
Hey wait a minute... Can you just 3D print the negative halves of the item you want to mold? In essence, 3D print the 2 halves of the mold and use it (with mold release compound!) to mold whatever your symbol/thing is.

https://3d.formlabs.com/moldmaking-...XPwhF9gGK1-cQcgnhePLgeABHGjJkFowaAh3IEALw_wcB

1665096613245.png
 
You can also print in PVA and use water to dissolve it.

BoB
 
PLA is soluble in dioxane, acetonitrile, chloroform, methylene chloride, 1,1,2-trichloroethane and dichloroacetic acid.

Plaster of paris is not soluble in any of these with the exception of dichloroacetic acid. I would use methylene chloride.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
I'm behing the curve here. What material is your final piece?