Can every ideal be decomposed into a triangular Groebner basis?

• Thread starter xnull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, Groebner basis calculations are a useful method for solving nonlinear equations, despite being computationally challenging. Many problems have been successfully solved using this technique. However, obtaining a triangular Groebner basis can be difficult, as seen in the conversation where the person is struggling to find one for their system of quadratic equations. The question is whether Buchberger's Algorithm or the F4/5 Algorithm will always produce a triangular basis, which is not always the case. Some ideals may not have a triangular basis.
xnull
Groebner basis calculations are an important technique for solving systems of nonlinear equations. Despite being (in the worst case), computationally intractable, they seem to be effective solutions for a multitude of problems.

I have a problem that I am trying to solve. I have perused the literature and am trying to use Macaulay 2 to find a triangular Groebner basis for my system of quadratic equations. I am capable of finding triangular bases for some systems of nonlinear equations. However, I cannot seem to get Macaulay 2 to give me a triangular basis for the problem I am trying to solve.

My question is simple: does Buchberger's Algorithm or the F4/5 Algorithm terminate with a triangular Groebner basis necessarily? If not, are there some ideals that cannot have a triangular basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK you can obtain and use reduced Gröbner bases. Triangularity is not a concept in the context that I knew of.

1. What is a triangular Groebner basis?

A triangular Groebner basis is a set of polynomials in a multivariate polynomial ring, where the leading monomials of each polynomial are arranged in a specific way, making it easier to solve polynomial equations.

2. What is an ideal?

An ideal is a set of polynomials that can be multiplied by any other polynomial in the polynomial ring and still remain within the set. In other words, it is a set of polynomials closed under multiplication.

3. Can every ideal be decomposed into a triangular Groebner basis?

No, not every ideal can be decomposed into a triangular Groebner basis. There are certain conditions that an ideal must meet in order for it to be decomposed into a triangular Groebner basis.

4. What are the conditions for an ideal to be decomposed into a triangular Groebner basis?

The conditions are: the ideal must be finitely generated, the ideal must be zero-dimensional, and the ideal must be homogeneous.

5. Why is it useful to decompose an ideal into a triangular Groebner basis?

Decomposing an ideal into a triangular Groebner basis can help in solving polynomial equations, as it simplifies the process by reducing the number of variables and equations to be considered. It also allows for more efficient algorithms to be used for solving polynomial systems.