Can Extremely Low Wind Speeds Impact Weather Predictions and Climate Models?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
tasp77
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
How slow can wind blow on Earth (and elsewhere) before local obstructions (trees, hills, buildings) essentially stop it?

How low a wind velocity can be measured, and does the wind velocity spectrum extend to zero?

I was wondering about wind speeds in the 0 to 10 centimeter/second range. I was recently watching a small trash fire and I noticed the smoke plume was not quite vertical, but a nearby weather station anemometer was motionless. Are very low wind speeds (not stationary) important to weather predictions and climate models? (I'm thinking a very low velocity parcel of air would be more likely to saturate in humidity over a lake as opposed to wind moving over the lake at a higher speed).
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org