Can falling factorials be a Schauder basis for formal power series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Schauder basis for a topological vector space, specifically in the context of formal power series with coefficients in a field. It is noted that the set of falling factorials is not a Schauder basis in the standard topology on the vector space. The question is raised whether there exists an alternate topology on the vector space that would make the set of falling factorials a Schauder basis. The topic of normed vector spaces is also briefly mentioned, but the focus is on general topological vector spaces. The conversation ends with speculation on the possibility of defining a topology where the sequence of falling factorials converges to the infinite series.
lugita15
We usually talk about ##F[[x]]##, the set of formal power series with coefficients in ##F##, as a topological ring. But we can also view it as a topological vector space over ##F## where ##F## is endowed with the discrete topology. And viewed in this way, ##\{x^n:n\in\mathbb{N}\}## is a Schauder basis for ##F[[x]]##.

Now in contrast, ##\{(x)_n:n\in\mathbb{N}\}##, where ##(x)_n## denotes the falling factorial, is not a Schauder basis for ##F[[x]]##. That’s because if ##\Sigma_na_n(x)_n## never converges in the standard topology on ##F[[x]]## if infinitely many of the ##a_n##’s are nonzero. But my question is, does there exist some alternate topology on ##F[[x]]## which makes ##\{(x)_n:n\in\mathbb{N}\}## a Schauder basis for ##F[[x]]## as a topological vector space over ##F## endowed with the discrete topology?

Physics news on Phys.org
A schauder basis per the wikipedia article is typically defined based on a norm, which I think means you don't get to pick any particular topology on the field. Do you only care about topologies defined by a norm on the vector space, or would any topology that happens to permit you to compute unique limits suffice?

Office_Shredder said:
A schauder basis per the wikipedia article is typically defined based on a norm, which I think means you don't get to pick any particular topology on the field. Do you only care about topologies defined by a norm on the vector space, or would any topology that happens to permit you to compute unique limits suffice?
I’m not interested in normed vector spaces at all. As Wikipedia says “Schauder bases can also be defined analogously in a general topological vector space.”

It feels like the answer has to be no, but it's tough. For example can you just define a topology where the sequence ##\sum_{i =0}^n a_i(x)_i## converges to ##\sum_{0}^{\infty} a_i x^i##? I poked around a little bit and can't generate an obvious contradiction where you just assume the normal topology on the polynomials and then pick some open sets around the infinite series that make those limits true.

1. What is a falling factorial?

A falling factorial is a mathematical function denoted by (x)_n, where x is a real or complex number and n is a positive integer. It is defined as (x)_n = x(x-1)(x-2)...(x-n+1) and is also known as the descending factorial.

2. What is a Schauder basis?

A Schauder basis is a set of elements in a vector space that can be used to represent any element in that space through a linear combination. It is similar to a basis, but the elements do not necessarily have to be linearly independent.

3. Can falling factorials be used as a Schauder basis for formal power series?

Yes, falling factorials can be used as a Schauder basis for formal power series. This means that any formal power series can be represented as a linear combination of falling factorials, making them a useful tool in the study of power series.

4. What is the significance of using falling factorials as a Schauder basis for formal power series?

The use of falling factorials as a Schauder basis for formal power series allows for the representation of power series in a more compact and efficient manner. It also provides a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of power series.

5. Are there any limitations to using falling factorials as a Schauder basis for formal power series?

One limitation is that the convergence of a power series represented by falling factorials may be affected by the choice of basis. Additionally, the choice of basis may also affect the speed of convergence. It is important to carefully consider the choice of basis when using falling factorials as a Schauder basis for formal power series.