Can Ferrofluid Be Used as a Lubricant for Magnets and PVC Pipes?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mrtnelson8
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
mrtnelson8
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
can I use ferrolfluid as a lubricant between a cylindrical neodymium magnet and a pvc pipe that the magnet fits snugly in(still will move back and forth in the pipe but does experience a little friction)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you want to? Realize that "ferrofluid" is a suspension of magnetic particles in oil, and that we have a simple version for lubrication called "oil" that you can get in pretty much any viscosity that you want.
 
I should imagine that the ferromagnetic particles in the fluid could cause abrasion. This could be relevant in the long term.
 
Am I the only one here who is thinking "high-tech condom"?
 
sophiecentaur said:
That's a different sort of attraction.

What! No, wait a minute here! That is so totally not true! It wouldn't count anyhow, because I was drunk. Besides, you can't believe anything that damned muskrat says; she'd do anything for half a gram.