Can force in Newtons be negative?

• Thread starter zoezoehzoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, Ahmedbasil said that for a force to have a negative magnitude, it would need to be applied in the opposite direction of the velocity. Zoezoehzoe said that a force with a negative magnitude would be a contradiction of the direction it was applying.
zoezoehzoe

Homework Statement

I am trying to find out if force in Newtons can be negative.

If i know the magnitude of decelaration of a car ( a minus acceleration ) and i know the mass, do i multiply the - acceleration value by the mass, resulting in a minus value in Newtons, or do i multiply the mass by the deceleration, resulting in a positive value in Newtons.

Homework Equations

for example, 1500kg ( mass ) x -2 m s-2 ( acceleration ) = -3000 Newtons

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this would be correct because the minus is telling us the direction in which the force is being applied, but i really am not sure, any advice would be appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
A force is a vector, it cannot have a negative magnitude. Although what you see as -3000 Newtons is really just a contradiction of the direction. The 3000 Newtons is acting in the direction opposite to the one you assumed it's acting in.

F=ma, should actually be |F|=m|a|, or [tex]\vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

EDIT: Sorry, just read your attempt at solution. You're right, it corresponds to the direction.

Ahmedbasil said:
A force is a vector, it cannot have a negative magnitude. Although what you see as -3000 Newtons is really just a contradiction of the direction. The 3000 Newtons is acting in the direction opposite to the one you assumed it's acting in.

F=ma, should actually be |F|=m|a|, or [tex]\vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

EDIT: Sorry, just read your attempt at solution. You're right, it corresponds to the direction.

Hi, thank you for your reply. So if i were to write the answer as -3000 Newtons would that be correct? Or should it be 3000?

Many thanks.

zoezoehzoe said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find out if force in Newtons can be negative.

If i know the magnitude of decelaration of a car ( a minus acceleration ) and i know the mass, do i multiply the - acceleration value by the mass, resulting in a minus value in Newtons, or do i multiply the mass by the deceleration, resulting in a positive value in Newtons.

Homework Equations

for example, 1500kg ( mass ) x -2 m s-2 ( acceleration ) = -3000 Newtons

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this would be correct because the minus is telling us the direction in which the force is being applied, but i really am not sure, any advice would be appreciated?

Hiii zoezoehzoe !

Force is a vector quantity but that doesn't even mean that it has to be negative. However I came across some textbooks which claim the answers in -500 N etc. It is not a big deal but this is not correct. It is wrong ! As Ahmedbasil said that force is vector because of direction. It has magnitude as well as direction.

|F| = m x |a| ---> This is a correct representation.

Cross product of vector(acceleration) and scalar(mass) is always vector(force).

Vector quantity : Direction + Magnitude + can be negative or remain absolute OR only magnitude but negative ; Example: Displacement , acceleration , velocity etc .

Scalar quantity :Only Magnitude ;and only positive . Eg. Distance , speed , mass etc .

In F=ma , acceleration has nothing to do with direction even. It just tells increase or decrease in velocity per unit time. Force is dependent on direction. Example : Centripetal force in centre due to constant change in direction.

I recommend you should write 3000 N as your answer.
Ahmedbasil , you are correct to say that -X N means force is applied in opposite direction but you must not say that it is because it is causing retardation in opposite direction. Retardation = -(-Acceleration).
Positive and negative sign in acceleration just tell that whether speed is increasing (velocity for particular) or decreasing.

:wink:

Always feel free to ask questions. Well done !

Last edited:
sankalpmittal said:
Hiii zoezoehzoe !

Force is a vector quantity but that doesn't even mean that it has to be negative. However I came across some textbooks which claim the answers in -500 N etc. It is not a big deal but this is not correct. It is wrong ! As Ahmedbasil said that force is vector because of direction. It has magnitude as well as direction.

|F| = m x |a| ---> This is a correct representation.

Cross product of vector(acceleration) and scalar(mass) is always vector(force).

Vector quantity : Direction + Magnitude + can be negative or remain absolute OR only magnitude but negative ; Example: Displacement , acceleration , velocity etc .

Scalar quantity :Only Magnitude ;and only positive . Eg. Distance , speed , mass etc .

In F=ma , acceleration has nothing to do with direction even. It just tells increase or decrease in velocity per unit time. Force is dependent on direction. Example : Centripetal force in centre due to constant change in direction.

I recommend you should write 3000 N as your answer.

:wink:

Thank you both very much for your help :)

Related to Can force in Newtons be negative?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects and causes them to accelerate and change their motion. It can be described as a push or pull on an object.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong, and weak. Gravitational force is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, electromagnetic force is responsible for interactions between electrically charged particles, and strong and weak forces are responsible for interactions within atomic nuclei.

3. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (in kilograms) by its acceleration (in meters per second squared). The equation is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How does force affect the motion of an object?

The greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. If the force is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down or come to a stop. If there are multiple forces acting on an object, they will combine to determine the overall motion of the object.