1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can heat be the cause of the expansion of the universe?

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    It's for a project at school. I really need some help...

I found this website...
    http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~dhw/A873/notes6.pdf

and also here's my current work on my paper...

STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM

1.) Is heat present in the outer space?
    1.1) Are there any matter/ energy that may carry or produce heat in the outer space?
    1.2) How can that matter/ energy carry and produce heat as it travels in the universe?​
    2.) Is there equal distribution of particles/ matter in the universe?
    2.1) Where do those particles/ matter come from?
    2.2) Would the expansion be concentrated in specific areas?​
    3.) Is the universe really expanding?
    3.1) Will the universe continue to expand?
    3.2) May the universe contract if it cools down?
    3.3) How can heat support the expansion of the universe?​

Thank you so much for all of your help.

And, additional information... I also came across a website that tells me that photons and neutrinos may have a collision and the heat produced from the kinetic energy will cause the universe to expand. but because of the neutrino- there will become a cooling effect. Then, the photon heats up the space again and the neutrino cools down. It's reapets over and over in infinity, just like the expansion of the universe.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2
    Hi there and welcome. I'm not sure what exactly the homework-helping policies are here, but here is a forum entirely for academic guidance. May I suggest you repost this there, and delete the original post here? I think you'd get a better reception. I assume we don't just DO your homework for you, but guide you to answers. That said, I'm new here too (relatively speaking)

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The answer is no - we do not just hand out answers to people's homework questions. For two reasons:

1. It is typically cheating.
    2. It is the wrong way to learn.

Please show some effort - attempt to answer the questions yourself and we can help guide from there.

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4
    Sorry for pitching in (one of the deleted posts). I made an a** out of u and me... typical.

6. Feb 19, 2010 #5
    Sorry, my bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook