Can House Plumbing be Repurposed for Sustainable Living?
- Topic: Plumbing
- Thread starter BillTre
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
Those guys are nuts.
Beer on tap.
And cold too.
Beer on tap.
And cold too.
Anachronist
Gold Member
- 123
- 59
What a great prank! It's a good thing they didn't test the toilets. That would have been a waste of good beer.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,707
An Italian town has now topped this by causing ~1000 L of wine (Lambrusco Grasparossa) from a local winery to flow into the houseold plumbing of about 20 local homes for about 3 hours.
CNN story here.
CNN story here.
Dullard
- 568
- 470
Anachronist said:What a great prank! It's a good thing they didn't test the toilets. That would have been a waste of good beer.
Cutting out the 'middle man.'
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 1,733
- 824
Surely these guys are Australian.BillTre said:Summary:: The Brits may be the World's Best at this.
NTL2009
- 637
- 393
Looks like it poured pretty well too!
Reminds me - I was at the home of a guy in our home-brew club, and he had multi-tap kegerator in the garage. He is a great brewer. Well, I go to rinse my glass at his kitchen sink, and his wife says "Oh, Billy put in the faucet and it's reversed, turn to the left for cold, right for hot". I said "If Billy plumbed it, I'm surprised beer doesn't come out of it!"
Reminds me - I was at the home of a guy in our home-brew club, and he had multi-tap kegerator in the garage. He is a great brewer. Well, I go to rinse my glass at his kitchen sink, and his wife says "Oh, Billy put in the faucet and it's reversed, turn to the left for cold, right for hot". I said "If Billy plumbed it, I'm surprised beer doesn't come out of it!"
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 1,733
- 824
I did wonder about Kiwis. I went to a couple of sites with Aus/NZ accent coaches, but was still unsure.
I know in Aus they do have these crawl spaces under their houses, at least in Queensland.
I tend to think of Kiwis as more like us - a bit more uptight and not likely to do something like that.
I nearly just said antipodeans, but since many readers are not UK based, they might not know where that is!
I know in Aus they do have these crawl spaces under their houses, at least in Queensland.
I tend to think of Kiwis as more like us - a bit more uptight and not likely to do something like that.
I nearly just said antipodeans, but since many readers are not UK based, they might not know where that is!
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,707
My house in Eugene, Oregon, in the US, has a very similar crawl space.
I have seen them in a lot of other places in the US, so does not seem definitive to me.
Although my house plumbing is older and therefore look different, the materials and plumbing fittings in the video are just like the more modern ones I have seen in supply stores around here.
On the accents, I defer to those who are more expert on the subject.
I have seen them in a lot of other places in the US, so does not seem definitive to me.
Although my house plumbing is older and therefore look different, the materials and plumbing fittings in the video are just like the more modern ones I have seen in supply stores around here.
On the accents, I defer to those who are more expert on the subject.
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 1,733
- 824
Yes. I guess this (external access crawl space) maybe a common feature of wooden houses. So I've never seen one here in UK.
I was trying to discriminate only between Aus and NZ. NZ seems more like UK - cold and wet! - so maybe more solid brick building and concrete slab bases?
I was trying to discriminate only between Aus and NZ. NZ seems more like UK - cold and wet! - so maybe more solid brick building and concrete slab bases?
Science Advisor
2025 Award
- 17,252
- 10,712
Both countries span a large range of latitude, so climate will not identify it. Wood framed houses with weather board cladding are common in both. The NZ accents are mild which suggests Australia, but a reference is made to a nearby suburb which sounded Maori = NZ.
The vehicle rego would help. I didn't recognise the brand of beer logo, due to my lack of experience in that field.
Since a group were getting together for the “game”, I guess they were going to watch a sporting event on TV there later, which helps justify the effort by all involved. I would guess it was an international rugby union match involving the All_Blacks.nz or Wallabies.au, hence the plumbing conversion from R-718 to ale.
The vehicle rego would help. I didn't recognise the brand of beer logo, due to my lack of experience in that field.
Since a group were getting together for the “game”, I guess they were going to watch a sporting event on TV there later, which helps justify the effort by all involved. I would guess it was an international rugby union match involving the All_Blacks.nz or Wallabies.au, hence the plumbing conversion from R-718 to ale.
Similar threads
- GTOM
- · Replies 10 ·
- Sci-Fi Writing and World Building
- Replies
- 10
- NaughtyBear
- · Replies 2 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 2