Can I delete a post if I've figured out the answer to my query?

• Thread starter kate2004
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of deleting an older post that received no replies. It is mentioned that there is a 24 hour window for edits and deletes, but one user offers to delete the post for the original poster. There is a suggestion to post the solution found for others to benefit from, but it is also mentioned that certain posts cannot be deleted.
kate2004
I posted a while back and got no replies, and now I don't need any help with my problem. So, can I delete the post at all?? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
i usually do

just click edit and delete

This is an older post, so probably not. I think there is a 24 hour window on edits and deletes. (I should check into this!)

Kate, I can delete it for you, if you like.

If you could delete it, that would be great - one less file on the server! Thank you.

Done deal!
I am dismayed to hear that you got no replies to your question. I hope we will still see you around. :smile:

Last edited:
Or you could always post the solution you found, in case anyone else comes searching for something similar it's already there...

Or use the mark thread as solved option.

NeoDevin said:
Or you could always post the solution you found, in case anyone else comes searching for something similar it's already there...

I don't think it matters much either way, but that certainly is worth considering. If nobody answered your question, it could be that nobody else knew the answer either, and some might have appreciated having you share what you found out about it.

However, remember that Homework Helpers and Science Advisors have access to the secret "Stupid Students" sub-forum, in which we make fun of particularly helpless posts and posters.

You cannot delete your involuntary contributions, if any, to this sub-forum, I'm afraid..:smile:

1. Can I delete a post if I've figured out the answer to my query?

Yes, you can delete a post if you have found the answer to your query. It is your post and you have the right to delete it at any time.

2. Will deleting the post affect other users who have already read it?

No, deleting your post will not affect other users who have already read it. They will still be able to see the post on their end, but it will no longer be visible to others.

3. Is it considered rude to delete a post after receiving an answer?

It is not necessarily rude to delete a post after receiving an answer, but it is generally considered good etiquette to keep the post up so that others can benefit from the answer as well.

4. Can I edit my post instead of deleting it?

Yes, you can edit your post instead of deleting it. This way, the answer you received can still be helpful to others and you can also add any additional information or updates to your original query.

5. Do I need to provide a reason for deleting my post?

No, you do not need to provide a reason for deleting your post. It is your own decision and you have the right to delete it without any explanation.