Can I desgn a rotating disc without using a centre shaft

• Thread starter jeredane
  • Start date
Is it possbile to spin a disc that has a hole in the centre like normal DVDs but without using a rotating centre shaft that is passing through the hole?

The spining disc has to be supported too by a structure. Is there any mechanism to recommend?

Answers and Replies

Yes, it is possible. There are a number of ways to do this, but it all comes down to a rim attached to either the inside of the hole or the outside of the wheel. This rim slides through the supporting structure.

Some practical examples, demonstrated on bicycle wheels:
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/11207/hubless-spokeless-bicycle-wheel-compilation.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey.. THanks for the reply!!

How about if the disc is being spin horizontally? is there anyway of supporting the disc without the centre shaft?

Three or more rollers around the rim with one or more driven to provide spin.

The following picture is a ride that i have design. the outer and the inner layers spin in the same direction and the middle layer spin in the opposite direction. how can i spin the outer layer of the ride and the middle layer of the ride? where can i place the driver?

If i were to use a planetary gear that is very big is it possible? Is there anyway to supend the gears in mid air and let it rotate?

Attachments