Can I do a Masters after an MSci?

• Thread starter 9k9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, the individual is currently in a Maths and Physics Msci program in the UK and is interested in pursuing a masters in a computer science and engineering related field, such as an MSc in Advanced Microelectronic Systems Engineering. They are concerned about their limited lab time and theoretical degree, but plan on taking units in Information Theory and Cryptography to strengthen their application. The expert suggests that as long as they meet the entry requirements and provide a clear reason for their interest in the program, they are likely to be accepted. They also suggest reaching out to the course convener for more information on specific courses that may be beneficial.
9k9
I'm from the UK and in currently in a Maths and Physics Msci program. I'd like to do a masters in a more computer science and engineering related field, for example "MSc in Advanced Microelectronic Systems Engineering"

I seem to have the entry requirements and the course can cater to diverse backgrounds.

Is this sensible? How likely am I to be accepted into something like this?

I'm worried as my degree has limited lab time and is very theoretical. Although I am planning on taking units in Information Theory and Cryptography so will that help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you fit the entry requirements and write a coherent statement as to why you are applying, then it is highly likely that you will be accepted. MSc courses are rarely over-subscribed and you will have to fund it yourself so as long as the Department thinks you have the ability to succeed they will accept you. It's not like their money is on the line like it is with PhD funding. In some cases they may require an interview so you ought to be clued up as to why exactly you want to do an MSc.

I don't know the particulars of the MSc that you're applying for so I don't know what courses will help. You should email the course convener and ask him/her yourself!

1. Can I pursue a Masters degree after completing an MSci?

Yes, absolutely! An MSci degree is designed to prepare students for further graduate studies, including Masters programs.

2. Will I have an advantage in the admissions process if I have an MSci degree?

Having an MSci degree can give you an advantage in the admissions process as it demonstrates a higher level of academic achievement and typically includes a research component that prepares you for advanced studies.

3. Do I need to have a specific major or field of study in order to pursue a Masters after an MSci?

No, you do not need to have a specific major or field of study in order to pursue a Masters after an MSci. Many graduate programs accept applicants from a variety of undergraduate backgrounds.

4. Do I need to have a certain GPA or grades in order to be eligible for a Masters program after an MSci?

Most graduate programs do have a minimum GPA requirement for admissions, but this can vary depending on the school and program. It is important to research the specific requirements for the Masters program you are interested in.

5. Can I apply for a Masters degree in a different field of study than my MSci?

Yes, you can apply for a Masters degree in a different field of study than your MSci. Some programs may require additional coursework or prerequisites, but having an MSci degree can still make you a competitive applicant for a Masters program in a different field.