Can I do a Master's in Physics in the US after a BTech

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a Master's program in Astronomy or Physics in the United States after completing a B.Tech degree in Nanotechnology or Aerospace from an Indian university. It is mentioned that having a strong background in courses such as quantum mechanics, E&M, classical mechanics, and statistical mechanics can make up for not having an undergraduate degree in physics. However, the competition for graduate programs in the US is high, especially for international students, and research experience in physics is recommended. It is also suggested to consider one's career goals and the possibility of getting a PhD in Astronomy or Physics for a career in those fields. The person asking the question also expresses their concerns about the demanding nature of academia and considers the option of
nelbakugan
My parents will only pay for my college education if I take up an engineering discipline but I really want to study physics and astronomy. Is applying to a Master's Astronomy/Physics program in the United States a viable option after completing a B.Tech(engineering) program in Nanotechnology or Aerospace from an Indian University? Also, if it is possible , would choosing Aerospace over Nanotechnology engineering increase my chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on which classes you would take as an undergraduate. As long as you take the necessary courses (quantum mechanics, E&M, classical mechanics, statistical mechanics) then it will be like you have an undergraduate degree in physics. However, graduate school in the US is very competitive especially for international students, so you'll likely need some physics research experience.

Likes Dr. Courtney
nelbakugan said:
My parents will only pay for my college education if I take up an engineering discipline but I really want to study physics and astronomy. Is applying to a Master's Astronomy/Physics program in the United States a viable option after completing a B.Tech(engineering) program in Nanotechnology or Aerospace from an Indian University? Also, if it is possible , would choosing Aerospace over Nanotechnology engineering increase my chances?

So far, you've only talked about what you want to STUDY. Not once did you describe what you intend to pursue as a CAREER.

What you want to study is a means to get to an end, which is what you wish to work in. You somehow are putting more emphasis in the means rather than the end.

So step back a bit and describe what you wish to pursue as a career.

If you want to have a career in Astronomy or Physics, then the best chance in having that is to have a PhD in Astronomy or in Physics. While there have been people with different majors entering PhD programs in Astronomy and Physics, they have a significantly more work to do to catch up with students who have already majored in those areas at the undergraduate level.

I do not know what "B.Tech" degree is equivalent to. Here, in the US, a "Bachelor of Science" in "Engineering Technology" is not equivalent to an engineering degree.

I have written already on a simple, first-order self-test that anyone with a different degree can try to see if one has the necessary background and preparation to be successful in a PhD or graduate program in physics here in the US:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

Zz.

It really depends on your undergrad curriculum. I made the switch from engineering to physics between my BS and MS and it was kind of a crap shoot tbh. You def need the GRE's for the US. I did my MS in Germany and BS in the USA, and in Germany it was rather smooth going from one to the other. If you have a strong GRE score but are missing some pre-reqs (like me) what they will do is tentatively accept you but require you to first complete some other courses. You'll need a lot of math background, and quantum physics for sure (which I was lucky to have). I went from Nuclear engineering to physics, so the Nuclear part of my BS was def helpful in making the switch, since I had nuclear physics type classes as a requirement. Another factor is university prestige; lower "ranked' universities will be more willing to overlook shortcomings than top tier ones. So if you're missing some classes (which I assume you will be) I would recommend getting a high GRE score (physics and general) and applying to mid range schools; unless you take the missing requirements somewhere else in which case you could transfer to a diff school.

Dishsoap said:
It really depends on which classes you would take as an undergraduate. As long as you take the necessary courses (quantum mechanics, E&M, classical mechanics, statistical mechanics) then it will be like you have an undergraduate degree in physics. However, graduate school in the US is very competitive especially for international students, so you'll likely need some physics research experience.
And how exactly do I do this?Do I just contact researchers at any university and ask if I can tag along or something?
ZapperZ said:
So far, you've only talked about what you want to STUDY. Not once did you describe what you intend to pursue as a CAREER.

What you want to study is a means to get to an end, which is what you wish to work in. You somehow are putting more emphasis in the means rather than the end.

So step back a bit and describe what you wish to pursue as a career.

If you want to have a career in Astronomy or Physics, then the best chance in having that is to have a PhD in Astronomy or in Physics. While there have been people with different majors entering PhD programs in Astronomy and Physics, they have a significantly more work to do to catch up with students who have already majored in those areas at the undergraduate level.

I do not know what "B.Tech" degree is equivalent to. Here, in the US, a "Bachelor of Science" in "Engineering Technology" is not equivalent to an engineering degree.

I have written already on a simple, first-order self-test that anyone with a different degree can try to see if one has the necessary background and preparation to be successful in a PhD or graduate program in physics here in the US:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

Zz.
B.Tech is a four- year engineering course in the engineering discipline chosen.A lot of people start entering basic engineering jobs after completing it.Well I intend to pursue research in astronomy and space exploration technology as a career , but I have doubts about whether I could keep up with the "publish or perish" culture that I hear makes everyone in academia feel terrible, so I'm keeping the option to get a standard aerospace engineering job(also deals with the problem of my parents wanting me to have an engineering degree) on the table at the same time. Would doing well on the GRE Physics test show admissions that I have a good enough understanding of undergrad physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
DeathbyGreen said:
It really depends on your undergrad curriculum. I made the switch from engineering to physics between my BS and MS and it was kind of a crap shoot tbh. You def need the GRE's for the US. I did my MS in Germany and BS in the USA, and in Germany it was rather smooth going from one to the other. If you have a strong GRE score but are missing some pre-reqs (like me) what they will do is tentatively accept you but require you to first complete some other courses. You'll need a lot of math background, and quantum physics for sure (which I was lucky to have). I went from Nuclear engineering to physics, so the Nuclear part of my BS was def helpful in making the switch, since I had nuclear physics type classes as a requirement. Another factor is university prestige; lower "ranked' universities will be more willing to overlook shortcomings than top tier ones. So if you're missing some classes (which I assume you will be) I would recommend getting a high GRE score (physics and general) and applying to mid range schools; unless you take the missing requirements somewhere else in which case you could transfer to a diff school.
You're saying a good GRE score CANNOT be a substitute for actually attending classes on the pre-req subjects right?

OK, guys I'm thinking maybe I should gain internship/basic research experience in both astronomy and aerospace engineering while doing my B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering .I will simultaneously learn more Physics than is part of the engineering curriculum(can I attend specific classes that don't come under my course and have that certified at nearby universities since my university doesn't offer BSc programs?) . I'll also prepare well for the regular GRE and GRE Physics tests. What do you guys think?

nelbakugan said:
Well I intend to pursue research in astronomy and space exploration technology as a career , but I have doubts about whether I could keep up with the "publish or perish" culture that I hear makes everyone in academia feel terrible, so

This makes very little sense. If your intention is to do research work, what do you think you will do when you get a result? Sit on it?

To me, this is the LEAST of your problem right now. You are putting the cart WAY before the horse. You don't have a clear path yet into getting accepted into a program, and yet you're already worrying about how you will keep up in academia, a job that is anything but easy to get.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This makes very little sense. If your intention is to do research work, what do you think you will do when you get a result? Sit on it?

To me, this is the LEAST of your problem right now. You are putting the cart WAY before the horse.

Zz.
I guess I didn't phrase that correctly.It's just that I'm somewhat insecure about whether or not my experience in academia(as you said, IF I make it there) will be what I expected it to be.A lot of things don't always turn out to be the way you thought they were , like , say , a concert by your favourite singer; you may have had an idealized version in your head and then find yourself somewhat disappointed once you actually go. Either way it's not like I'm spending the whole day moping and worrying about this bit.I know I have a long way to go.

What do you think of THIS , though? Should this be sufficient? And is it even POSSIBLE to attend only 3 or 4 classes from another course at another university ?
"OK, guys I'm thinking maybe I should gain internship/basic research experience in both astronomy and aerospace engineering while doing my B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering .I will simultaneously learn more Physics than is part of the engineering curriculum(can I attend specific classes that don't come under my course and have that certified at nearby universities since my university doesn't offer BSc programs?) . I'll also prepare well for the regular GRE and GRE Physics tests. What do you guys think?"

You don't say where you are from, but I am guessing India.

India generates approximately ten zillion physics majors per year, and roughly 100% of them want to attend grad school in the US. That's your competition. You are placing yourself at a disadvantage over your competition by not majoring in physics. You are placing yourself at a disadvantage over your competition by not taking the typical suite of physics classes before the GRE. Your research plan might or might not work out, but if it doesn't another disadvantage.

Sure, it's POSSIBLE that this will all work out, but you're not exactly planning to make yourself competitive.

Vanadium 50 said:
You don't say where you are from, but I am guessing India.

India generates approximately ten zillion physics majors per year, and roughly 100% of them want to attend grad school in the US. That's your competition. You are placing yourself at a disadvantage over your competition by not majoring in physics. You are placing yourself at a disadvantage over your competition by not taking the typical suite of physics classes before the GRE. Your research plan might or might not work out, but if it doesn't another disadvantage.

Sure, it's POSSIBLE that this will all work out, but you're not exactly planning to make yourself competitive.
...Oh God this is freaking me out, but could you please tell me of any alternatives that WOULD make me more competitive?I'm in a tough spot , which is why I'm here.I need all the advice any of you can give me. As to where I'm from, if it helps , I'm an Indian expatriate living in the United Arab Emirates

nelbakugan said:
You're saying a good GRE score CANNOT be a substitute for actually attending classes on the pre-req subjects right?
That is correct. In the US at least, there are no independent exams that "certify" that you have mastered the content of specific undergraduate courses. That sort of certification comes from course grades/marks, which professors derive from some combination of final exams, midterm exams, homework assignments, and laboratory work.

The physics GRE serves as one data point in the graduate-school admissions process, as a check against the student's average grades. Average course grades can vary significantly between different schools, even for (hypothetically) the same student, because in the US we do not have a single unified university curriculum, nor national standard exams for evaluating university students. If the GRE score deviates significantly from what might be expected given the student's course grades, that is something that an admissions committee might want to investigate further.

nelbakugan said:
...Oh God this is freaking me out, but could you please tell me of any alternatives that WOULD make me more competitive?I'm in a tough spot , which is why I'm here.I need all the advice any of you can give me. As to where I'm from, if it helps , I'm an Indian expatriate living in the United Arab Emirates

IF... you decide to concentrate of Nanotechnology for your undergraduate engineering degree, and I do not foresee significant barrier in trying to seek admission to a M.Sc program in the US if you aim a bit lower, i.e. do not go for high-powered, highly competitive schools. It might be a good idea to go for a M.Sc first, catch up on the course work, and then, after you finish your degree, seek admission to another university. At the very least, you'll have a Masters degree in physics with appropriate coursework.

But here's something you never clarified. If you are doing engineering because that is what your parents will pay for, who will be paying for your M.Sc degree and your expenses in the US?

Zz.

1. Can I do a Master's in Physics in the US after a BTech?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's degree in Physics in the US after completing a BTech. Many universities in the US offer graduate programs in Physics for students with a background in engineering.

2. Do I need to have a specific major in my BTech to be eligible for a Master's in Physics in the US?

No, most universities in the US do not require a specific major for admission into their Master's program in Physics. However, having a strong foundation in mathematics and physics can be beneficial.

3. Are there any specific requirements or exams I need to take for admission into a Master's in Physics program in the US?

Each university may have its own set of requirements for admission into their Master's in Physics program. However, most universities will require you to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and submit your scores along with your application.

4. Can I get financial aid or scholarships to pursue a Master's in Physics in the US?

Yes, many universities in the US offer financial aid and scholarships to international students pursuing graduate studies. You can also look for external scholarships or funding opportunities specific to your country or field of study.

5. Are there any English language proficiency requirements for international students applying for a Master's in Physics in the US?

Yes, most universities in the US require international students to demonstrate their proficiency in English by taking tests like TOEFL or IELTS. However, some universities may waive this requirement if you have completed your BTech in English or have studied in an English-speaking country for a certain period of time.