Can i go with physics and astronomy masters after doing some engineering degree

• Programs
  • Thread starter Bradwast88
  • Start date
I am a high school student. I hope to get my bachelors in physics and astronomy but i heard that there is low job opportunities for that degree (i know for PHD in physics and astronomy the story is different) And i hope to do PHD in physics and astronomy while i am doing a job(Because i have some PVT and financial problems) So is there any other bachelors degree which has some job opportunities and can do masters in physics and astronomy. And if i did Masters in physics and astronomy without doing any other degree how about the job opportunities? PLEASE help. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

I did a bachelors and a masters in physics/astronomy, but no PhD. Couldn't find a job in astronomy, but was paid to do R & D in various jobs: numerical modelling (computational physics), artificial intelligence, interface design... I've known several others who have taken a similar path. So I don't think there is any downside to taking a physics/astronomy degree. If you are more interested in that then anything else then do it! But realise, as you already seem to realise, that you may not get a job in astronomy. But what you don't seem to realise is that it is a great preparation for working in many fields. Physics/astronomy is looked at as hard core, so interviewers for (say) R&D posts in engineering/computing treat as you as a serious player.

Likes Kriti Dhakal
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
First, the idea that one can't get a job with a BS in physics is a myth. Yes, it's true that you can't get a job as a physicist with a BS in physics, just as one can't get a job as a historian with a BA in history. But physics grads are at least as marketable as the typical college graduate.

Second, getting a physics PhD part time is extraordinarily difficult. The average PhD program takes 7 years. If you work half-time, that becomes 14. A third of the time and it's 21. By the time you finish your thesis, the question may no longer be interesting.

Third, yes, you can get a PhD with a BS in another field, but you will need to catch up on the undergraduate preparation that you missed, which can be 1-2 years of full time study. Part time this will be longer.

And finally, if a student wanted me as their advisor and was planning on finishing in 15 or 20 years, I wouldn't take them on. This would be a waste of my time.