1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can i go with physics and astronomy masters after doing some engineering degree

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    I am a high school student. I hope to get my bachelors in physics and astronomy but i heard that there is low job opportunities for that degree (i know for PHD in physics and astronomy the story is different) And i hope to do PHD in physics and astronomy while i am doing a job(Because i have some PVT and financial problems) So is there any other bachelors degree which has some job opportunities and can do masters in physics and astronomy. And if i did Masters in physics and astronomy without doing any other degree how about the job opportunities? PLEASE help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2
    I did a bachelors and a masters in physics/astronomy, but no PhD. Couldn't find a job in astronomy, but was paid to do R & D in various jobs: numerical modelling (computational physics), artificial intelligence, interface design... I've known several others who have taken a similar path. So I don't think there is any downside to taking a physics/astronomy degree. If you are more interested in that then anything else then do it! But realise, as you already seem to realise, that you may not get a job in astronomy. But what you don't seem to realise is that it is a great preparation for working in many fields. Physics/astronomy is looked at as hard core, so interviewers for (say) R&D posts in engineering/computing treat as you as a serious player.

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, the idea that one can't get a job with a BS in physics is a myth. Yes, it's true that you can't get a job as a physicist with a BS in physics, just as one can't get a job as a historian with a BA in history. But physics grads are at least as marketable as the typical college graduate.

Second, getting a physics PhD part time is extraordinarily difficult. The average PhD program takes 7 years. If you work half-time, that becomes 14. A third of the time and it's 21. By the time you finish your thesis, the question may no longer be interesting.

Third, yes, you can get a PhD with a BS in another field, but you will need to catch up on the undergraduate preparation that you missed, which can be 1-2 years of full time study. Part time this will be longer.

And finally, if a student wanted me as their advisor and was planning on finishing in 15 or 20 years, I wouldn't take them on. This would be a waste of my time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook