Can I interchange CCFL bulbs between different laptops?

• Thread starter stripes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker has two laptops with broken screens, one with a cracked backlight and the other with a faulty inverter or backlight. They are considering taking the backlight from one laptop and using it in the other to test if it still works, but are unsure of the compatibility of the components. The expert advises caution in attempting this and suggests taking necessary precautions.
stripes
So I have an HP Pavilion DV2000 and an old Toshiba Satellite whose screens do not work any longer.

The Toshiba has a cracked backlight. The DV2000...well I'm not sure if it's the inverter or the backlight. I know the LCD panel works fine; I can see what's on the screen if I shine a very bright light up to it. I took it apart and readjusted things and found that the HP screen worked fine for about 20 minutes. Then it randomly died. And every once in a while, the screen works for a few minutes, and then dies. Lately it hasn't worked at all.

Anyways, I'd like to take the bulb out of the HP and put it in the Toshiba to see if the bulb is still good. It's been used for well under 50,000 hours, so I think it's okay, but I'm just wanting to be sure. The only problem is that the backlight plugs are different on the HP and Toshiba. These are not pictures of mine, but they will give you an idea:

http://www.iccfl.com/images/ccfl_connector_with_wire_2_pin_3.jpg
http://symlink.dk/projects/flatpanel/ccfl-connector.jpg

So I'm assuming the inverters are each putting out a different voltage. Or maybe they're not, I'm not sure. Anyways, I'm wondering if I could cut off the plug and solder the other one on, so I could just interchange them to see if it works or not.

Is this possible? Is it a good idea?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's surely possible, but whether it's a good idea is debatable. It's generally not advisable to use the components of one laptop of a certain make in another if a different make. Since both of your laptops seem to be faulty in one way or the other, you can take the risk of doing what you've said. But if things go up in fire, don't be surprised, and take necessary precautions.

1. Can I use a CCFL bulb from one laptop on a different laptop?

Technically, it is possible to interchange CCFL bulbs between different laptops. However, it is not recommended as each laptop model may have a specific size and type of CCFL bulb. Using an incompatible bulb may cause damage to the laptop's screen or affect its performance.

2. Are all CCFL bulbs the same size?

No, CCFL bulbs come in different sizes and shapes. It is important to use the correct size and type of bulb for your laptop to ensure proper functioning.

3. Can I use a CCFL bulb from a newer laptop on an older laptop?

In most cases, no. As technology advances, the size and type of CCFL bulbs used in newer laptops may be different from older ones. It is best to use a CCFL bulb that is specifically designed for your laptop model.

4. Do I need any special tools to interchange CCFL bulbs?

Yes, you will need a small screwdriver and possibly other tools to remove the CCFL bulb from your laptop's screen. It is recommended to have a professional handle the replacement if you are not familiar with the process.

5. Can I interchange CCFL bulbs between different brands of laptops?

No, it is not recommended to interchange CCFL bulbs between different brands of laptops. Each brand may have different specifications for their CCFL bulbs, and using a different brand's bulb may cause compatibility issues or damage to the laptop.