Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I mix these 3 chemicals together?

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    Can I mix these 3 chemicals together??

I'm not a chemist so don't laugh at my lack of knowledge:

I want to mix pure Benzene, Toluene and Cyclohexane into a single Cuvette. Is this alright? I'm not going to produce any harmful gases or weapons of mass destruction?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2
    Re: Can I mix these 3 chemicals together??

I don't see any possible way for those chemicals to react to any favorable degree, then again, I may be wrong.

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3

I actually need it to test out this spectroscopic source I built. I want to see if it can distinguish each spectra when the chemicals are mixed.

Just need to make sure I'm not going to be on a Most Wanted list tomorrow...

5. Jan 22, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are just hydrocarbons, and of only Carbon and Hydrogen. One would not expect any reaction. A good plan is to first see the spectrum of each compound by itself before making the mixture.

6. Jan 22, 2009 #5

Thanks. I've already seen the spectrums of each compound. :biggrin:

7. Jan 22, 2009 #6

just don't light it on fire.

8. Jan 22, 2009 #7

I won't, but the laser propagating through it just might.

9. Jan 23, 2009 #8

Except chemical spectra are altered by solvents - the non-chemical, electric interactions between your different species mean that the spectra of the sum is not just the sum of the spectra. This is why you always specify your solvent - for example, FTIR in methanol, FTIR in gas phase, NMR in CDCl3 with TMS reference, and so forth.

There is no harm in mixing these hydrocarbons, they will not react under ambient conditions. Be warned that they are volatile, flammable, and benzene is a known carcinogen.

10. Jan 23, 2009 #9

They are all miscible in all proportions and will simply form a blend, no reaction will occur. Benzene is indeed carcinogenic, toluene is also toxic by inhalation. MSDS's for all three are available in public doman, just Google "MSDS Benzene" etc.

11. Feb 1, 2009 #10

Mk

Are some materials' MSDSs copyrighted and not legally available?

12. Feb 3, 2009 #11

Well, some materials' MSDS's will only be available from the company that manufactures them, whereas common commodity materials MSDS are freely available. Thats the point I was making.

13. Feb 7, 2009 #12

All solvents used in basic O-chem lab. I would recomend a nice hood breathing a lot of benzene or toluene isnt so good for you and they are all flamable but not gonna explode or melt threw a test tube or realy interact with each other in much of a serious way at all.

14. Feb 9, 2009 #13

If you mix together toluene, cyclohexane and benzene they will basically just mix. Thats it. Nothing else will happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?