Can I PhD in astronomy with an electronics engg degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a PhD in astronomy after obtaining a Masters' degree in electrical engineering as a backup plan. The thread mentioned in the conversation suggests that while it is possible to switch disciplines, it may require making up for missing coursework. Some examples of individuals who have successfully switched disciplines are also mentioned. However, the overall consensus is that it is important to carefully consider and plan for this switch in order to be successful.
kr75
Hi, I am currently studying electronics engineering in India and I plan to start applying for the fall 2013 semester within the next 2-3 weeks. I am pursuing a Masters' and PhD in astronomy and I will apply for the same. However, if I do not get an admit for this course from the universities I apply to, can I go for a Masters' in ECE and go for PhD in astronomy? I know instrumentation is a big part of astronomy but in academic terms, would I have a good chance to pursue research?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read the thread, however I feel this question (in my case) is different from the points mentioned there. While my major subject in my applications will be physics and astronomy, in case I fail to get an admit and as a back up I take up a Masters' course in electrical engineering, can I get a PhD in astronomy after that?

No, you can't.

(And I think you should read that thread more carefully)

Vanadium 50 said:
No, you can't.

(And I think you should read that thread more carefully)

Yes he can.

I know a math major who is doing her master in electrical engineering.

A physics professor who specializes in theoretical particle physics at my university did his undergrad in electrical engineering.

With an EE background he'd be good to do astronomical instrumentation or programming, I know of a few people who've done this.

I notice you're quick to dismiss people switching disciplines even though it's been done several times already.

While you can switch disciplines, you need to make up for a great deal of missing coursework. A PhD program in astronomy assumes you've got a bachelors and masters in physics or astrophysics. You can't just jump into a research program in a field if you have no background in it. You must first take the required undergraduate and masters level classes - the PhD is going to require you pass a qualifying exam testing you on all the material you should have learned in those classes you didn't take.

eri said:
While you can switch disciplines, you need to make up for a great deal of missing coursework. You can't just jump into a research program in a field if you have no background in it.

So what? This is basically what my math major friend did, she did math bs and a minor in physics, made up only the relevant electronics coursework is now in an electrical engineering masters program doing nanotechnology; guess she should quit right?

The point was to get him to read the thread he was pointed to, which covers situations almost identical to his.

1. Can I pursue a PhD in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree. Many universities and research institutions offer interdisciplinary programs that allow students with a background in engineering to specialize in astronomy.

2. Do I need a strong background in physics to pursue a PhD in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree?

While a strong background in physics is helpful, it is not necessarily required to pursue a PhD in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree. Many programs offer courses to bridge the gap between engineering and astronomy, and students can also gain relevant knowledge through research experience.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a PhD program in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree?

To be successful in a PhD program in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving skills, and a passion for both astronomy and engineering. Good communication and research skills are also important.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree?

The length of a PhD program in astronomy with an electronics engineering degree can vary depending on the specific program and the student's progress, but on average it takes around 5-6 years to complete. This may also vary depending on the student's research project and any additional coursework required.

5. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in astronomy and electronics engineering?

With a PhD in astronomy and electronics engineering, you can pursue a career in various fields such as academia, research institutions, government agencies, or private companies. Some common job titles include astrophysicist, research scientist, data scientist, or aerospace engineer.