Can I post pictures of text from books here?

  • Thread starter Thread starter omoplata
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
omoplata
Messages
327
Reaction score
2
I'm reading some books and I don't understand some places. Instead of typing long paragraphs, I'd like to post pictures of those paragraphs and ask questions. Is it illegal or anything to post pictures from the books? I mean, is it a copyright violation. Would it be alright if I cite the source?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
omoplata said:
I'm reading some books and I don't understand some places. Instead of typing long paragraphs, I'd like to post pictures of those paragraphs and ask questions. Is it illegal or anything to post pictures from the books? I mean, is it a copyright violation. Would it be alright if I cite the source?

The part of the law that applies is "Fair Use":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

I believe as long as you copy only a small part (like a paragraph and an equation), and provide attribution, your posting it here to clarify your question would qualify under Fair Use.

('course, I'm not a lawyer, not even on TV...) :smile:
 
Fredrik said:
If possible, link to the page at Google Books instead.
That's a great suggestion. Since much more of the of the book is available to view, the context of the parts related to the question is available too.