The text areas are interfering with typing

• Thread starter Strilanc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the cursor and selection jumping around on its own when typing in a reply box on a forum. This occurs when using keyboard shortcuts to cut and paste text, especially on an android phone. The issue may be caused by a javascript reacting to keyboard events, and the person suggests disabling it. The issue is also present on other devices and may be related to using script blocking extensions.
Strilanc
Science Advisor
Whenever I'm typing text into a reply box on this forum, I noticd that my cursor and selection like to jump around on their own.

This happens a lot when trying to cut and paste things(with ctrl+x and ctrl+v, not with the mouse), but not always. I'll cut something, decide not to move it, paste it back, and suddenly the text is at the start of the paragraph instead of where I just cut it from.

The problem is especially egregious on my android phone for some reason. Anytime I try to paste by long-clicking, the long-click is canceled by some kind of a focus change.

Please check for any javascript reacting to keyboard events that has side effects on the text area, then kill that javascript with fire. It is *really* frustrating. I often have to edit posts in a separate text editor because the reply text area is so tempermental.

Physics news on Phys.org
I never had that problem with Firefox. Something browser-specific?

Is this just on your phone, or on a tablet as well. You don't see this with a laptop or desktop, right? Just trying to understand on what devices this is showing up for you...

The canceled long-press issue is unique to the android phone (on firefox), but the general issues also apply to my windows machine on firefox and my ubuntu machine on chrome.

It's possible that it has something to do with me using script blocking extensions (noscript, scriptsafe, remove-it-permanently, ublock, etc), but usually that *fixes* these kinds of UI-not-acting-like-default issues instead of causing them.

I assume you can trigger the issue by writing a bunch of text into the reply box then trying to move around it with the keyboard while copying and pasting chunks of text.

1. Why are the text areas interfering with typing?

The text areas may be interfering with typing due to overlapping with other elements on the page or having a higher z-index value, causing them to appear on top of the text input fields.

2. How can I fix the issue of text areas interfering with typing?

To fix this issue, you can adjust the positioning or z-index of the text areas, or use CSS to ensure that they do not overlap with other elements on the page.

3. Is this a common problem with text areas?

Yes, this can be a common issue with text areas, especially if they are not properly styled or positioned on the page.

4. Can I still use text areas if they are interfering with typing?

Yes, you can still use text areas even if they are interfering with typing, but it may be frustrating for users and could potentially affect the functionality of your website.

5. Are there any other factors that could be causing the issue of text areas interfering with typing?

Other factors that could contribute to this issue include browser compatibility, conflicting CSS styles, or issues with the code used to create the text areas.