1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I transfer between graduate schools

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    I'm going to a top-tier graduate school this year. However, the professor whom I intended to work with is moving to another school, which I don't want to go. And then there will be no one possible to supervise me in the current department.

I'm thinking about transferring to another graduate school which has a slightly lower ranking. Is it possible? If yes, what should I do?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2
    The answer is yes and no. I changed grad schools, but there was no "transfer". I had to apply and get in to the new school and drop out of the old. It sucked but it was the best decision.

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply. If I'm really gonna quit the current program, when should I? My fellowship states that if I'm going to quit the program I have to pay 30% more penalty along with the tuition. That's a lot. So should I quit before the semester started?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook