Can I transfer between graduate schools

In summary, the individual is considering transferring to a lower-ranked graduate school due to their intended supervisor moving to another school. They are wondering if it is possible and what steps they should take. The answer is that it is possible, but it would require dropping out of the current program and applying to the new school. It may be best to make this decision before the semester starts to avoid paying a penalty.
gyyang
I'm going to a top-tier graduate school this year. However, the professor whom I intended to work with is moving to another school, which I don't want to go. And then there will be no one possible to supervise me in the current department.

I'm thinking about transferring to another graduate school which has a slightly lower ranking. Is it possible? If yes, what should I do?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
gyyang said:
I'm going to a top-tier graduate school this year. However, the professor whom I intended to work with is moving to another school, which I don't want to go. And then there will be no one possible to supervise me in the current department.

I'm thinking about transferring to another graduate school which has a slightly lower ranking. Is it possible? If yes, what should I do?

Thanks.

The answer is yes and no. I changed grad schools, but there was no "transfer". I had to apply and get into the new school and drop out of the old. It sucked but it was the best decision.

carlgrace said:
The answer is yes and no. I changed grad schools, but there was no "transfer". I had to apply and get into the new school and drop out of the old. It sucked but it was the best decision.

Thanks for your reply. If I'm really going to quit the current program, when should I? My fellowship states that if I'm going to quit the program I have to pay 30% more penalty along with the tuition. That's a lot. So should I quit before the semester started?

1. What is the process for transferring between graduate schools?

The specific process for transferring between graduate schools may vary depending on the schools involved, but generally it involves submitting an application to the new school, providing transcripts and letters of recommendation, and possibly completing an interview or writing a personal statement. It is important to check with both the current and prospective schools for their specific transfer requirements and deadlines.

2. Can I transfer between graduate schools at any time?

No, there are typically specific deadlines for transferring between graduate schools. It is important to check with both the current and prospective schools for their transfer deadlines and plan accordingly. It is also important to consider any potential impact on financial aid or scholarships when transferring between schools.

3. Will my credits transfer to the new graduate school?

This depends on the policies of the new graduate school. Some schools may accept all or most of your credits, while others may only accept a certain number or specific courses. It is important to check with the new school and possibly speak with an advisor to determine the transferability of your credits.

4. Can I transfer between graduate schools for any program or degree?

It is possible to transfer between graduate schools for most programs and degrees, but it may be more difficult or have different requirements for certain fields of study. For example, transferring between schools for a specialized program in medicine or law may have stricter limitations. It is important to research the specific requirements and policies for your desired program before applying for a transfer.

5. How will transferring between graduate schools affect my career prospects?

Transferring between graduate schools may have some impact on your career prospects, as it may delay your graduation and potentially change the courses or experiences you are exposed to. It is important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks of transferring and consider speaking with advisors or professionals in your desired field for their perspectives.