Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I transfer between graduate schools

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    I'm going to a top-tier graduate school this year. However, the professor whom I intended to work with is moving to another school, which I don't want to go. And then there will be no one possible to supervise me in the current department.

I'm thinking about transferring to another graduate school which has a slightly lower ranking. Is it possible? If yes, what should I do?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2
    The answer is yes and no. I changed grad schools, but there was no "transfer". I had to apply and get in to the new school and drop out of the old. It sucked but it was the best decision.

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply. If I'm really gonna quit the current program, when should I? My fellowship states that if I'm going to quit the program I have to pay 30% more penalty along with the tuition. That's a lot. So should I quit before the semester started?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook